College Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReelStudent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys, new to the forum. im a marine bio student and am looking to start my first sw tank. i have had various fw tanks, 4 red ear sliders in a 75g going on 11 years, and tons of frogs. basically what im thinking is getting one of those biocubes (idk if they are corning or cheap or not, but they seem like the perfect thing for someone in my position) and doing a fish only/fish & live rock set up. i dont want many fish, maybe a clown or two to start then move on to something else, but i want to keep it a low # of fish, was also thinkin of a feather duster or two. i guess what im asking is a) your opinion on a Biocube (or something similiar) 14/29g with a few fish/feather dusters/inverts and b) if yall think this is even possible for a student or am i just dreaming. i have a job and get paid daily, so i guess im asking what yall think it costs on average, not including tank costs etc and fish, to upkeep. thanks for the help in advance guys, everything i have read here so far has been nothing but helpfull.

-Matt

also, say if i did the 29g, would it be possible to do just one dwarf lion fish? what is the smallest tank they can be in?

Thank you for the reply. I more or less want just one or two fish. Idk why, just do. But if I were to just get a 30g tank, what else would I need that I would get with the bio cube? I know I'll need a light(s), but what else? Thanks a ton guys.

Melosu- is that a good site? Ibe ran across it before, they have a large selection.

The only problem with dwarf lion fish is they are very messy eaters which will be a problem if you don't keep up with extra tank maintenance with a tank that small,also be careful what size fish you have with it as they will eat them if they will fit in their mouth,As for the upkeep costs,they aren't to bad once you have got all the test kits,salt,ro/di unit,qt tank,mixing tub,extra heater,extra powerhead,refractometer.the list can be endless its more what your willing to spend after you've got all this(and thats without setting the tankup,heater,powerhead,filter,live rock,live sand,CUC,temp guage,lights,fish and corals which you more than likely will get later).lol
Good luck

I had a 12g biocube while i was in college. It is not impossible but it depens on your situation. When you are in your first year or two and most likly in the dorms it can be difficult because you have to pack up and move your tank every summer. The biggest obstical in my opinon is moving the tank around. I don't know the exactly maintenance cost of my tank but it was quite low. Water changes are realtively cheap. A bucket of salt will last months for a tank that size. Power costs are going to be insignificant compaired to your major appliences, especially the heater and A/C.

What year in college and will you be going back home for the summers are the big questions.

Liveaquaria IMO is the best online site. I use them for everything as far as info and equipment.

I had a 12g biocube while i was in college. It is not impossible but it depens on your situation. When you are in your first year or two and most likly in the dorms it can be difficult because you have to pack up and move your tank every summer. The biggest obstical in my opinon is moving the tank around. I don't know the exactly maintenance cost of my tank but it was quite low. Water changes are realtively cheap. A bucket of salt will last months for a tank that size. Power costs are going to be insignificant compaired to your major appliences, especially the heater and A/C.

What year in college and will you be going back home for the summers are the big questions.

i am a junior and here for good, so the only moving would be across town. all of this is still just an idea to me so im not set on anything yet, but thank you everyone for the replies.

if i did get a lion, it would more than likely be the only fish in the tank, along with some feahers and random inverts likely. thanks again and keep em coming if you got some ideas/help!

Back
Top Bottom