Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-12-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to Bill1977
color change

My BTA and my red open brain coral are changing color. My BTA used to be green and now it is transparent. My open brain is starting to do the same thing. They both look healthy and act fine. I just don't understand because I also have a long tentacle plate coral and he is still bright green. Does anyone know what could be happening?

Bill1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
How long have you had them? What type of lighting are they under now, compared to what they had where you bought them? Are you feeding them? and if so, what are you feeding them?

That may help us out a bit.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to Bill1977
I have had the OB for about a month and a half, I have had the BTA for about 4 or 5 months. I use for 65 watt pc bulbs for my 55g tank. I feed them microvert by kent marine. Their color was fine until a couple of weeks ago. It was very hot outside and I don't have a chiller because I live in upstate New York. My house got very hot inside and the water in my tank got up to 92 degrees. Since then I bought an air conditioner so that my house won't get that hot again. Do you think that the rise in temp caused them to lose their color?
Bill1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
The spiked temperature has most likely caused the coral and anemone to expell their zooxanthellae.

The brain coral may never recover it's original color but will often survive providing there is no necrosis. Some target feeding with finely minced raw seafood (clams, mussels, shrimp) combined with a good quality marine vitamin will help.

Target feeding this coral would be best accomplished at night when feeding is most active. Cut the bottom off a pop bottle or other plastic beverage container, clean it and place it over the coral. Inject the food mixture into the top and place the lid on. After an hour or so you can remove it. Try that once or twice a week.

The anemone is a completely different creature. You would be best getting some mysis shrimp and soak it in some Zoe or Selcon. Using a small eyedropper or such gentley allow the shrimp to flow over the tentacles. If they are not sticky this will not work but you will need to be persistant. Without the zooxanthellae, the anemone has no hope of survival. Keep that up about 2 times a week. Once the anemone starts to show a dingey brown color, that will be an indication the zooxanthellae is returning. If not, you will need to feed the anemone until it does. Do not use large pieces of meat or feed too often, That will increase the stress to it's system and cause an increase in it's decline.

change, color

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com