Colorful fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just about everything in saltwater is colorful. If you are still in the process of planning what fish to stock in your tank then you should narrow your options a lot by tank size, type of tank (predator, fish only, reef, etc.), and what corals you will want to have (if it is a reef). From there pick what you like, check with us so we can help you make sure everything is good for the tank and together, and you should end up with a great, enjoyable tank.

If you are asking which fish are colorful you don't know enough to get a mandarine yet. They r difficult to get eating properly. 90 percent of the time they will only eat live food in your tank. And will starve to death. Especially if they have any compitition. You need at least a 70 gallon with a lot of LR. Unless you have a pod factory.

I agree with basically all SW fish are colorful. That`s why I like the SW hobby.

All u need for mandarin is an aged tank of atleast 40 gallons.. I dont know any fish names Thats why I'm asking about colorful ones because some are NOT colorful there just as plain as a freshwater fish and I didn't pay good money to house those so...

One of my absolute favorites is the flame angel, I like corals though so angels are kind of out of the question.

Sqasnatch said:
If you are asking which fish are colorful you don't know enough to get a mandarine yet. They r difficult to get eating properly. 90 percent of the time they will only eat live food in your tank. And will starve to death. Especially if they have any compitition. You need at least a 70 gallon with a lot of LR. Unless you have a pod factory.

My lfs has a mandarin in a 50 gallon older tank and he was skinny and would not eat. They moved him to a much larger tank that he had all to himself w/corals tons of live rock and a refugium. Now he looks amazing, he would be mine but I don't have enough pods to keep him healthy.

Exact needs for mandarins isn't x gallons in a tank at least y years old. It is more complex than that. The bigger, older, and more diverse reef tank with lots of rock, the more likely it is to survive. I got one or two at the shop I was running to eat pellets, but effectively none are like this (unless you get the captive bred ones which eat NLS, if those are even on the market yet).

The other issue is that many people think they succeeded because their mandarin lived for six months or even a year, but that is not their natural lifespan. In this hobby success with some species is a relative term.

Competition can also be really bad with mandarins, they will lose. One other tankmate that eats the same food can turn a great tank for a mandarin into a desert.

Some 40 gallons can handle a mandarin, some 100 gallons can't. Every tank and every mandarin is different.

Back
Top Bottom