Come on live rock, do something!!! (impatience is NOT a virtue)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniflea84

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I finally got my first saltwater tank (woo!!!) and am waiting for it to cycle. Biocube 29 with sand and about 30lb or so of live rock. Now, I picked pieces with lots of little pink and purple spots and one even has a whole side encrusted with green, but so far I've not seen any hitchhikers crawling around, not even at night.

Granted, its only been in the tank a day and half...

I fully realize I'm just being impatient here, but how long does it generally take before I notice crawlies and what not? Also, do I have to wait until it is fully cycled to add hermit crabs and such? The guy at the shop said it was "pretty well cured" already and so it should only take a week, give or take. Thanks!

it can take weeks . After the inital cycle you will begin to find things and years later you will find things and wondering where did that come from I havent added any thing new ..When I set up my first tank I could not see a hitchiker for miles it seemed to take months then wam there they were ...
As for cycling that depends on how you do it .. it may well only take a week but it is not likely as there will be some die off from the transport of the LR.
Your cycle will look some what like this
Ammonia will rise and fall ~ should be 0 Very toxic to fish and inverts can cause burns on the gills making it hard to breath
NitrItes will rise and fall ~ should be 0 Ammonia converts to NitrItes also quite toxic to fish can cause burns an making it hard to breath
NitrAtes will rise and fall ~ would like to see lower than 15-20 espec if you want a reef , NitrItes convert to NitrAtes , less toxic than above shoot for a level less than 15-20 Optimal is 0 but rarely do we see that in the home system :D

Sadie hit it right on the head. We also have an article in our article section on the SW tank cycle. It will take longer than a week unless you have already cured LR in your tank. Remember that the LFS is trying to sell you stuff to make a profit so make sure for yourself that it is ready.

So far ammonia (as well as everything else) has tested zero and the rock, which I picked by hand out of the lfs's tank, did not smell, which I've read is a sign of properly cured rock. There's some stringy stuff attached, and it looks dead (to my newbie eyes) and I'm not sure if I should get a toothbrush or something and brush it off and siphon it out. In one spot there's also a clear hollow tube that looks like it might be the remnant of a dead tubeworm, but again, I can't say for sure what it is. I'll upload some pics so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Again, thanks for all the advice. This is exiting! The wait is excruciating, much worse than it was for my freshwater tank. I am determined though to do this right and not jump the gun.

Back
Top Bottom