coming into the SW side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdude3233

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello,

some of you may know me as a big FW guy, but now I want to venture into the salty side. Ive done tons of research, but feel lost and I hope that you guys can help me on track, here is what I want to do. I want to start with a fish only aquarium, but want fish that are reef safe, and also want to buy a light that can support most corals. I'm looking to do a smaller sized tank probably around 20-40 gallons. Right now I'm just looking for suggestions on equipment including LEDS, skimmers, wavemakers/powerheads, etc. please know that this is not my first aquarium, but it is my first SW tank so bear with me.

I have a 20 and will soon have a 40 haha so I can help some. Do you want a reef tank or just a fowlr to start? Basically you will need:
Salt: Instant ocean is cheap an works. If a reef use their reef crystals version.
Live/base rock: 1- 1.5 lbs per gallon
Sand: aragonite based, 1 lb per gallon
Refractometer
RO/DI: you can buy one or get water from your lfs. Buying one is cheaper long term.
Powerheads: hydor koralias are great beginner powerheads and do a good job. You want 20-30x total tank turnover per hour.
Lighting: for a reef tank I'd go with an eBay 120 watt dimmable fixture. If not a reef any light works.
API test kits are fine for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and pH but for corals you will want a good test kit for mag/calcium and alkalinity. Hmm what else...idk lol. Hope this helps somewhat

I want a reef tank in the end but want to go into it slow, and not just jump the gun. thanks for the ideas, starting to get the hang of it

I want a reef tank in the end but want to go into it slow, and not just jump the gun. thanks for the ideas, starting to get the hang of it

No problem! Do you want to do a sump? That will dictate what kind of skimmer you need

i was hoping to not do a sump but if it is necessary then I will my mom is paranoid about it leaking lol

i was hoping to not do a sump but if it is necessary then I will my mom is paranoid about it leaking lol

You don't need one on a tank of those sizes. Just run a hob filter and you may not need a skimmer depending on tank size and wc schedule.

I am also in this boat. I have a 38 gal with hob filter. I have two clowns, a shrimp, three damsels, three snails and one fire goby. I want to add
Another fish but I'm
Not sure what else I could put
In a tank that size.

I would do a 29 or a 37 gallon tank. Great footprint for a reef.

40 breeders are the most popular small sized footprint tank out there. What budget are you looking to have for this?

Also, while a sump isnt necessary it will make your life a lot easier. If there are worries about a leak there are drilled overflow designs that are failproof and you should never have to worry about spillage from it.

I'd go with a 40B I started off with a 8 gal nano and it fills up super quick a 20 is a bit better but 40 would let you grow out corals and fish in the long run

Back
Top Bottom