Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
comments for reefgeek.com

greetings ... I'm a freshwater kinda guy, but I figured you salties would have more dealings with a place named "Reefgeek.com" since they seem to cater more toward salt systems

anyway, I was browsing their site, and came up with a 'kit' of parts that will give me a diy'd 2x 96 watt PC system for under $100!

get this:

2x 6700k hamilton tech 96 watters .. $19.95 ea $40
1x Fulham workhorse 7 (220 watts) .. $35.95 ea $36
4x PC Bulb clips .. $1.95 ea $8
2x 4 pin square sockets .. $5.96 ea $12

With shipping it comes to $102.50

so, my question is; is reefgeek.com using too many reefers (sorry, bad joke), or are they legit ... how have your past experiences been?

justDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
well the price on the bulbs seems awful low. I usually see 96W power compact bulbs for $29-40/each. Ah after looking at their site I see the 6700K bulbs are the cheapest of the kevlin ratings.

Over at www.ahsupply.com they a simular kit that includes everything except bulbs for 2 x 96 watt Bright Kit $114.99

I cant comment on the quality of reefgeek.com as I have not used them. The photo they have of the workhorse 7 is simular in apperance to the ballast that comes with the ahsupply kit except the ahsupply kit has 110W ballasts vs 220W ballasts. Of course apperance in a photo does not exactly mean they are the same ballasts either.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i have heard very good things about them they were reccommended to me but no personal experience here is a link to the web page of one of the people that has ordered from them his tank is worth the look anyway http://dougc3.home.mindspring.com/Reefpage/Index.htm
like pictures? visit
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
I too have heard good things, but no personal experience.
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 09:34 PM   #5
Man I paid 60 bucks a piece for the 6700 hamilton bulbs here in town...$19.95, I may stock up... That is an excellent price...I don't think you will find or beat that anywhere on the web..
Old 06-11-2003, 10:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I placed my order shortly after posting (sorry, I'm impatient)

I spoke with Greg, and he was very helpfull ... he told me they are over-stocked on the 96w 67k, and that is why the price is reduced ... he also said that the bulb I receive might be a Custom SeaLife instead of Hamilton, depending on how many they had

the ahsupply ballast is probably a rebranded Fulham "Longhorse", which is the same as the workhorse, except supports long bulb leads, seeing as how they remote mount their ballast with injection molded water resistant end-caps for the lights ... as for the watts, I don't know how hard ahsupply pushes their bulbs ... at 110 watts a piece, i'll be overdriving mine slightly, but I doubt it will cause any problems.
justDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a retro kit from reefgeek , it was a 2x32Watt kit . After checking different sites , reefgeek had the cheepest price, plus free shipping on $50 and above orders. I got the kit pretty fast since they are local. I was satisfied .

chalowolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com