Compatability question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oO BRIGHTY Oo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have added my first bit of livestock, 3 blue legged hermit crabs, just wanted to know if later on it would be ok to add a blue throat trigger with them?! Will the trigger go for them also would it go for a cleaner shrimp?!

Blue throats and nigers are known to do very well with inverts,,however it is a trigger ,so its always a risk...

I did read somewhere that the blue throats are slightly less aggressive, maybe if (when I get the cleaner shrimp) I wait till it's bigger before adding the trigger it would be even less inclined to nip at it.

Once a trigger gets its territory it can be dangerous ..
I would put all inverts you want to have in before the trigger..Its less likely to think you are simply feeding it,,size really won't matter

A very good point, I shall definitely take you up on that advice. So would It be sensible to add the trigger nearly if not last?

Yes ,,i would add it last...even though i didn't take my own advice(but now i know and can pass it on)...my one trigger killed 3 additions(fish) i tried to add after he was in there a couple years (my humu trigger)....,,all fish are different, BUT....why risk it

i have a picasso and niger trigger, both about 4-5 in... i was wandering about the possibility of inverts so i tossed in a ghost shrimp....yeah thats not gonna work. my Niger hit him twice, the first time tore the shrimp nearly in two..the second hit completely ripped him in 2...not adding inverts anytime soon

***edit*** one thing i have noticed with triggers are that they are extremely inquisitive..and seem quite bold..they will swim up to and nip at almost anything (except a volitan lion ;) )

Hmmm, it's taking a chance then, maybe I should get a trigger that is very small so it can't boss the tank from the start of it being put in

def would be my suggestion.. but also keep in mind that triggers for the most part get fairly large, so if you get one and in a year or two want to add some sort of invert, you may run into issues. I personally LOVE my triggers, they are gorgeous and interactive

Just fell in love with a spotted sweetlips I have seen at a lfs near me, but don't think I can have it as I've heard they get really big very quickly!

As for our first addition of fish to our tank, I have a question to anybody who has a view, we will be getting two clowns as our first, could we get two different clown species and they would be ok together?!

i believe for the most part you can, but some are more aggressive than others...i can speak for the Maroon and Yellow clown.. he steals food from my triggers and they dont even chanse him..

Well done on resisting the impulse buy... sweetlips = MAHOOSIVE very quickly but agreed, a beautiful fish!
Just curious, what clowns were you thinking?

The black and White common and the maroon and yellow, I do like the tomato clown but I've seen one that is quite aggressive! Choices choices!

im currenlty have an ocellaris, hes housed with a gramma, damsel and dragonet plus a peppermint shrimp :p he does great with the community, im going to add a designer clown within a few weeks to pair him up :) ill tell you how it goes!

oO BRIGHTY Oo said:
Just fell in love with a spotted sweetlips I have seen at a lfs near me, but don't think I can have it as I've heard they get really big very quickly!

As for our first addition of fish to our tank, I have a question to anybody who has a view, we will be getting two clowns as our first, could we get two different clown species and they would be ok together?!

There always is that chance of everything not going well when mixing species of clowns. They are labeled as semi-aggressive, it is said that they will fight till only one species remains, but that is not always the case. But there is still that chance.

Back
Top Bottom