Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

compatible fish

I am in the process of starting a 12g nano DX. I am still a long ways from adding fish, however I am trying to decide what will go nicely together. I was thinking about a percula clown and a royal gramma. I saw the chart on this site that said they would be ok, but other charts I have seen disagree? I'm confused about this and was wondering if anyone has kept these two togther?

Old 04-30-2005, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have both of these fish and a purple fire fish in my 26 Gal and they all do fine together. I would not put any more the those two fish in a 12 gallon. You could also add a shrimp if you want. I just ordered the same 12 Gal nano cube delux and am going to setup a micro reef in my den.

Are you going to have corals in the tank? If so you will want to put as few fish as possible in that small of a tank.

Good luck....

Old 05-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a skunk clown, a six line wrasse and a purple firefish in mine. They do just fine.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lando,

I notice that you have the 12 Gal nanocube delux as well. I have just ordered this tank. I was wondering what you think of it, and did you make any modifications to it. Did you upgrade the pump? Did you remove the bio-balls, etc...

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am pretty happy with the tank. As far as it's an "all-in-one" system. The powerhead it comes with is not sufficient for a reef tank. I used it in the back and then added a second one to the main tank. There is a pic on my gallery of it. Since there is no skimmer, it is a good idea to aim one powerhead so that it breaks the surface f the water. This will help reduce the oil film build up on the surface. Here is what I did for filtration...4 inch DSB, 25lbs LR in the main. Do not use the sponges, ceramic rings or bioballs that came with the tank. They are not good for a SW application. The back of the unit has three filtration compartments. I filled the first one (where the water enters from the main) with LR rubble and put a peice of Poly Filter on top. In the middle chamber I just filled completely with LR rubble. In the last chamber I filled half way with LR rubble, put in the heater and the return pump and I also run a bag of Chemi-Pure for chemical filtration. I used all fully cured LR, LR rubble from the sump of my exsisting reef, 10lbs "live sand" from a bag and 10lbs LS from some exsiting reefs (both mine and the LFS). I even used water from my reef. Using all exsisitng and established media I was able to avoid a cycle all together. With the displacement fo the LS and LR I have total water volumeof about 8 gals. Let me know if you have any questions. Have fun with the new unitl...Lando
Old 05-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I have 2 percula clowns, 1 firefish, and 1 royal gramma in my 38 gallon. They are fine together.

I added the gramma and one my clowns instantly went up and looked the gramma right in the eyes. Then the gramma opened up his mouth real wide and the clown took off.

Firefish didn't even seem to notice the addition.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatible

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com