Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2003, 05:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Kiko
Compatible Tangs

I recently brought home a blue tang that took some time acclimating itself to my tank. After a little over two weeks, it is comfortable and spends a lot of time hanging around with my two percula clowns.

I want to know if the blue tang is compatible with a yellow tang, or if they will battle each other. There is a lot of green algae growing in the tank, especially since the blue tang appears to prefer to eat Mysis shrimp with the clown, and feeds aggressively. I was hoping that the blue tang would eat the algae, convict tangs - earlier tenants - eat heartily, and kept the growth in check. It is now growing faster than the blue tang's moderate grazing can keep in check, and I'd like to try and add another fish to feed on algae.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:12 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What size tank?

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 12:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a blue tang and a yellow tang together and they have been fine. they are just babies which could have something to do with it but they seem to always be together. ive heard that yellow tangs get territorial though. also my yellow tang has totally cleared away all hair algea i had, but blue tang never touched it.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 55 gal with a lot of live rock, there are lots of hiding places and caves, etc. There is some hair algae, but most of it is bigger, and looks like knobby rope for lack of a better description, other stuff looks like stubbly grass, there is some Ulva and caulerpra (spelling) growing too.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I would not put 2 Tangs in a 55g. IMO, that size tank is really not big enough for one Tang, let alone 2. In any case, the confining size would certainly increase the chances of the fish fighting.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Not sure how true this is but my LFS said not to put 2 tangs with the same body shape in together.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the tips. The blue tang is about three inches long right now, size was a concern for me when I got it, and I plan on moving up in tank size in the future, and hope that the blue tang is with me when I do.

It is really stoked, and likes the clownfish a lot, it never leaves them alone actually. Where they go, it goes. I'm happy about that, but I was kind of hoping for a fish that would swim in the reef, and prefer caves. My convict tang (very tiny, maybe one inch in length) does that in my other tank. I am hoping to pick up a royal gramma soon.

Tags
compatible, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com