Compatible Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiko

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently brought home a blue tang that took some time acclimating itself to my tank. After a little over two weeks, it is comfortable and spends a lot of time hanging around with my two percula clowns.

I want to know if the blue tang is compatible with a yellow tang, or if they will battle each other. There is a lot of green algae growing in the tank, especially since the blue tang appears to prefer to eat Mysis shrimp with the clown, and feeds aggressively. I was hoping that the blue tang would eat the algae, convict tangs - earlier tenants - eat heartily, and kept the growth in check. It is now growing faster than the blue tang's moderate grazing can keep in check, and I'd like to try and add another fish to feed on algae.

i have a blue tang and a yellow tang together and they have been fine. they are just babies which could have something to do with it but they seem to always be together. ive heard that yellow tangs get territorial though. also my yellow tang has totally cleared away all hair algea i had, but blue tang never touched it.

I have a 55 gal with a lot of live rock, there are lots of hiding places and caves, etc. There is some hair algae, but most of it is bigger, and looks like knobby rope for lack of a better description, other stuff looks like stubbly grass, there is some Ulva and caulerpra (spelling) growing too.

I would not put 2 Tangs in a 55g. IMO, that size tank is really not big enough for one Tang, let alone 2. In any case, the confining size would certainly increase the chances of the fish fighting.

Not sure how true this is but my LFS said not to put 2 tangs with the same body shape in together.

Thanks for the tips. The blue tang is about three inches long right now, size was a concern for me when I got it, and I plan on moving up in tank size in the future, and hope that the blue tang is with me when I do.

It is really stoked, and likes the clownfish a lot, it never leaves them alone actually. Where they go, it goes. I'm happy about that, but I was kind of hoping for a fish that would swim in the reef, and prefer caves. My convict tang (very tiny, maybe one inch in length) does that in my other tank. I am hoping to pick up a royal gramma soon.

Back
Top Bottom