Complete newbie at SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am a FW person 100%. SW intrigues me though and I am giving it some thought.

I am getting 2 free 30GL tanks (hit the jackpot) and 1 is going to be a dwarf puffer tank and the other I am thinking maybe, just maybe sticking my tip toes into the SW world.

Nothing big as for fish. I would of course want a clown because my daughter loves Nemo. is a 30gl big enough for one? I would only do it, if it was a good home for one. Are they easy to care for as well?

If I was able to do a clown fish (hear they are aggressive) would I be able to have any other fish? Could I have two clowns? What do they like in the tank?

I am not sure on what is right for this size tank.

I stray away from SW because I feel it is complicated? :( Would a HOB filter be okay or should I go with a XP2 or something? Powerhead a must even in a 30gl?

What would I need.

You can set up a simple, yet efficient, 30g with just an hob, a couple 50w heaters, and liverock. My personal favorite hob is an AquaClear 110. They can be modified into a mini refugium, if you "search" it. A pair of clownfish such as A. ocellaris or A. percula would be fine. These are the smallest of clownfish and regarded as "puppys" compared to other fish, but they will defend their territory as will any other inhabitant. Yes, other fish appropriately selected can also be housed with them.

wetwebmedia.com is a wonderful site to learn about saltwater, freshwater, brackish, etc.

I agree. The initial cost of setting up a SW tank can be expensive but the monthly maint is relatively low. I started with SW and with the help of the folks here, have made it a ton easier. I didn't find it at all difficult. Just post your questions here and we will be glad to help.

i must honestly say, and i cannot stress this more. RESEARCH!! I definately agree with what the other 2 posts say. Make sure you know waht your doing becuase mistakes in SW tanks are more costly. saltwater is not hard at all once you get the ball rolling. Also you have people here to give you advice. Be patient and youll be fine....

Also the Aquaclear 110 mod is pretty decent i used 2 of them for my 55G when i had my SW tank up

great articles and information thanks!!! I am scared of this as it is new, but think when the tank is up and I have the cute fishies it will be okay! lol

Back
Top Bottom