Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So all in all without a protein skimmer I will need a heater and filter what else

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Power heads to move water and exchange co2 for oxygen.
Porous rock for bacteria to grow on and fish to hide in along with sand.
If you want coral you will need to research lighting as they are mostly photosynthetic. The cheapest is usually the taotronics led panel we talk about a lot.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #13

Thank you for the info
What temp is good?
How much salt?
How to read salt?
How long to cycle my tank before I can add fish
Do I need to add tap safe like fresh water?

Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #14

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15W-Rotate...item20d71b9a88
Would this be enough?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamkelly View Post
Thank you for the info
What temp is good?
How much salt?
How to read salt?
How long to cycle my tank before I can add fish
Do I need to add tap safe like fresh water?

A good temp IMO should be between 72-78*F. I usually try to keep mine right about 78.

When you buy salt there will be directions on the bag/bucket and that is normally a good starting point.

You test you salt ( specific gravity) with a hydrometer/refractometer. Refractometers are more accurate and more fool proof. At least in my case

When it comes to cycling it varies from tank to tank. My husband's tank cycled in 3 weeks where as mine is still cycling and it's been running for over a month. The best way to cycle is a fishless cycle IMO. You can either buy some pure ammonia and add it to your tank to start the cycle or you can use a raw deli shrimp ( which is the method that I used). I just wrapped mine up in some cheesecloth and threw it in and let it rot away. It will cause an ammonia spike which is what you need to start your cycle. Just remember to be patient during this process. It is the most important! If you don't let your tank cycle you will be in store for some disappointments and hardships.

As for your water the best water to use is RO/DI water. You can normally get it from you LFS or even a supermarket. It is a lot better and it will save you many headaches fighting with algae blooms.

BTW if you are worried that you will not make the salt correctly you can ask you LFS if they sell saltwater or seawater. I know mine does and they charge about $0.40/gallon. It's not a bad choice considering the size of your tank.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #16

Thanks!
Is there any corals that don't need light the cheapest light I seen was £100

Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamkelly View Post
Thanks!
Is there any corals that don't need light the cheapest light I seen was £100

Unfortunately not to my knowledge.

Lights are going to be one of the most expensive things especially if you plan on having corals.

I live in the US and these seem to be pretty popular

Dimmable LED Aquarium Light 120W Coral Reef Tank White Blue Grow 55x3 Watt | eBay

1 panel is all you will need for your tank.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes, but they are simply hard to keep alive as feeding them fouls the water column and stresses them to death.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

The only coral I know of that just needs LED lighting is Green Star Polyp. It looks cool, and literally needs nutrients from your water, and light. The downside is it loves to grow. EVERYWHERE> If you went with GST, you'd have to isolate it on a single rock, or only keep it with no other coral. Else it will suffocate everything.
What is the temp of your tank now? Personally, I don't use a heater, as my tank stays constantly at 78*F. And I agree, a protein isn't necessary if you practice good tank cleaning.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadna View Post
The only coral I know of that just needs LED lighting is Green Star Polyp. It looks cool, and literally needs nutrients from your water, and light. The downside is it loves to grow. EVERYWHERE> If you went with GST, you'd have to isolate it on a single rock, or only keep it with no other coral. Else it will suffocate everything.
What is the temp of your tank now? Personally, I don't use a heater, as my tank stays constantly at 78*F. And I agree, a protein isn't necessary if you practice good tank cleaning.

Every coral can be grown with a quality led unit, and all corals need nutrients from the water column, nitrates and phosphates are required for coral growth.

Tags
newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com