Complete NOOB needs help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jt3611

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I'm looking to get my first SW tank I would like some advice. I'm planning on doing this slowly over the next year so I'm just starting to do my homework now. First the size of the tank, I don't want to go to small and regeret it in a year and spend the money to upgrade. I also don't want to go to big and be overwhelmed. I'm thinking around 90gallons. This is more than likely going to be a focal point in my home office. I will admit I am attracted to corner units but it seems you can get more corals and fish in a rectangular tank.

Also I know there are usually good deals on tanks on craigslist and that's probably where I am going to end up getting mine. How hard is to transport a tank that's already been cycled and operational. Would it be better to just get the tank and start 100% on my own? I'm fearful I will not have enough knowledge to keep the tank living.

Right now these are my two biggest questions. There will be many more to follow though :D

Thanks for any help provided and sorry for the long post

Welcome to AA!

90g is a great sized tank, especially for a beginner, so I think you'll be happy with that.

Getting a complete setup can be a good deal, and we can show you how to transport everything and what you'll need to do it safely and take maximum benefit from the fact that it's already cycled.

Start off by perusing the forums, especially the articles section. Pay close attention to the Nitrogen Cycle article especially, as this is critical info for a new tank.

Unless your set on a 90 consider a 75. Same footprint but shorter in height. The extra height makes it a pain to clean and reach things at the bottom and in the bottom back (I have 2, well 1 and 1 in progress). The fish you can have are the same since it's a 48" foot print. Also 75's are easier to find and cheaper.

Something to think about

I'm on my way to getting a 75 to upgrade from my 46 Bowfront soon. The 75 is shorter and easier to get to things on the bottom of the tank. Plus, if you want to go with corals. The shorter height brings lights closer to the actual corals to help with growth.

Back
Top Bottom