Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Complete water change? High nitrates

Since I have my nitrates at 160 ppm and gradual water changes are not working, could I do a complete water change with water from my local salt water fish store?, I have a fish and about 15 snails and crabs. I've lost a lot of money over the nitrates. Help!

Thank you

bianca90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats like starting over. it can be done though, but it might stress your live stock out and might kill some life on your rocks and substrate

lets see if any more knowledgable members agree

Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
What test kit are you using?
What water are you using for water changes now?
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Its not starting over cuz your bene bacteria is not in the water its on the lr and some on substrate. He would only have die off if his rock dried, as long as it stays wet the bacteria can live.

Do you have fish in the tank? If you dont there could be die off because of a shortage of food for your bacteria such as ammonia and nitrite unless you dose. It takes time for shrimp to break down into ammonia.
How often have you been doing pwc's and at what percentage?
Do you have a skimmer? Sump? Macroalgea?
kurtyboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
how large is your tank? also how often are you feeding/how much are you feeding? how much rock do you have in the tank? and what kind of substrate?
I have known people to do 50% water changes to drop nitrates. only ever heard of people doing 100% changes when something bad happens, like macro algae going sexual.

it would be good to know the questions that fishguy2727 asked as well.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html how to cycle your tank
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ate/Page1.html How the Nitrogen cycle works
yetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Have you still got all them fish in your tank?
Your tank is only a few months old and you had a large amount of fish go in it very quickly,also you've used some regular rock from an old freshwater tank into this one,this could be leeching trates?
I think you'll find that there isn't enough beneficial bacteria in your tank to support your bio load and I also think your PWC % isn't enough,Give us some answers and hopefully we can steer you into the right direction!!

Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote

change, high nitrate, high nitrates, nitrates, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com