Completely New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willanderz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey AA, I have kept fresh water fish for about two years now, and now I'm planning to get a tank for a reef aquarium. I don't know anything about SW and what I'll need so any help is great :D

First thing I'd say is take everything slowly. Make sure you properly cycle the tank without any living creatures inside the tank. Research everything you put in your tank a lot so you don't end up with things being eaten or dieing. Never listen to your Lfs without doing your research. I'd advise to look at the specific fish you want before buying anything too for example a blot of people start ith clowns which is all well and good except if you decide you want triggers or lion fish it's not oing to end well.

Equipment wise you'll need around 1lb live rock per gallon, power heads that will turn your tank over about 10 times per hour, skimmer dependant on tank size, sump would be advisable.

What set up do you have in mind?

First thing I'd say is take everything slowly. Make sure you properly cycle the tank without any living creatures inside the tank. Research everything you put in your tank a lot so you don't end up with things being eaten or dieing. Never listen to your Lfs without doing your research. I'd advise to look at the specific fish you want before buying anything too for example a blot of people start ith clowns which is all well and good except if you decide you want triggers or lion fish it's not oing to end well.

Equipment wise you'll need around 1lb live rock per gallon, power heads that will turn your tank over about 10 times per hour, skimmer dependant on tank size, sump would be advisable.

What set up do you have in mind?

I was wanting a reef tank, I've always loved the ocean and coral reefs

Lol no worries it's basically another tank below that you use as a filter you drain the water from the display tank in to the other tank then back in, you can put your heater skimmer, some macro algae in there and it's good places to grow things like Copepoda which your fish will eat and also for water changes it will keep your reef a lot more stable

Lol no worries it's basically another tank below that you use as a filter you drain the water from the display tank in to the other tank then back in, you can put your heater skimmer, some macro algae in there and it's good places to grow things like Copepoda which your fish will eat and also for water changes it will keep your reef a lot more stable

Oh cool I think I'll use one do I have to make it?

You can shop buy them but they aren't very common as most people make them, if you google it or youtube it there are plenty of videos telling you about making them what size will your tank be?

Do what I done buddy come on the site ask lots of questions till your compleat ly sure of what your doing and listen to what these guys say they are very helpful and don't be imbarsed to say you don't no believe me fresh water is easy and if u don't mind me saying pretty boreing but saltwater an adventure everyday and always something different and most of all ur tank is a war zone lol but you'll love it hood u enjoy

Do what I done buddy come on the site ask lots of questions till your compleat ly sure of what your doing and listen to what these guys say they are very helpful and don't be imbarsed to say you don't no believe me fresh water is easy and if u don't mind me saying pretty boreing but saltwater an adventure everyday and always something different and most of all ur tank is a war zone lol but you'll love it hood u enjoy

Ok I'm really excited to get a sw tank now haha

So here's my list of questions

1. How big of a tank
2. What do I need for a reef tank
3. How do I set up a sump

1. How big of a tank

Tank size the bigger the better you will need live rock live sand skimmer and a lot of time to do it rite the longer you wait to put things in the better it will be

Tank size the bigger the better you will need live rock live sand skimmer and a lot of time to do it rite the longer you wait to put things in the better it will be

Ok good, it's going to take me a while to get it all haha

Sorry buddy but I disagree I would start with mabye 20/ 30g nano till you get the hang of parmiters etc and fish it is also less expensive and gives you time to build and collect for a bigger tank that's what I'm doing and still learning and will also be waiting another at least 5 months till I upgrade again you also need to pick if your going for fish only tank of reef read slot before you jump in hope this helps

Larger tanks are easier to maintain. For one salinity is harder to control in smaller tanks as your water evaporates and leaves the salt behind. Things like that are easier to control. I started with a 55 and recently moved into a 125. If I could I'd had a 250!!

Yeah larger the better tbh but don't go straight into reef keep it as fowlr for a bit

1. How big of a tank

What fish do you intend to keep? If you like tangs, then you want a 6' tank. A 125 would be the smallest I would go, but a 180 is a better choice.

What do you need for a reef tank? You will need a reef ready tank, a sump, lighting for both, live rock, a good quality protein skimmer, power heads for flow inside the tank, a refractometer, and test kits.

A sump is just an extra container of water to increase total water volume and keep many of your components in, like your skimmer, any reactors, and possibly a refugium. What exactly do you want to put in your sump?

Back
Top Bottom