Concrete rubble as base rock? pics..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just re did my stairs in front of my house and I ripped up some concrete and it looks like it should be nice base rock for my 135g tank. Here are pics. Now can I use this?? I will be cleaning the crap out of it.
QzuVjf1.jpg
UfnLmpQ.jpg
En9cJmL.jpg

You'd have to cure it to avoid ph fluctuations which can take up to 6 months. Better off getting base rock imo

You'd have to cure it to avoid ph fluctuations which can take up to 6 months. Better off getting base rock imo

I thought if you make your own rock out of concrete you have to let it cure for about 4-6 weeks. Not with concrete that has been cured for over 10years. Don't get me wrong I would put it in a big bucket with a few power heads for a little while.

There's no telling what type of phophate and other junk have been absorbed by the concrete. Best to get some new base or live rock.

There's no telling what type of phophate and other junk have been absorbed by the concrete. Best to get some new base or live rock.

I found Someone on cl that is parting out a tank and is asking 250 for 100lbs. I'll see if I can get it to 200. Not a bad deal... Or there is this company holeyrock.com, if you send them a pic of what size and what you would like your aqua scape to look like they will piece it together. And it only costs $79.00 per 50 lbs delivered.

Don't use the concrete. As mentioned there is no telling what it has absorbed over the years. Also concrete is really dense. You want rock that is less dense.

I wouldn't use it either. bulk reef supply and marco rocks have some fairly inexpensive dry rock options. Also check ebay.

I wouldn't use it either. bulk reef supply and marco rocks have some fairly inexpensive dry rock options. Also check ebay.

I probably have around 75lbs to start with. When I have more money for more rock I will with dry rock. My full spectrum Cree dimmable LEDs just came in today. :)

Back
Top Bottom