Condy Anemone's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know the minimum lighting needed for Condy's for them to live and the mininum for them to florish well? Thanks for your time! =)

What kind of lights do you have now on the 50 gal and how long has it been set up?

Cheers
Steve

Lights

We have the lights that came with the set right now, well we upgraded as much as we could, its a 48" long flo with a 45 watt bulb I believe. Its the flo strip that runs $70(on sale). We really want to upgrade our lights but until we can afford to, or find something decently priced then we have this one. =) We were told that we can put a 50/50 bulb in it but I haven't checked the info on the light to verify that. Thanks again. =)

Although condylactis anemones are one of the most forgiving and easier to care for, they still require a certain amount of light intensity. Lower wattage PC's may "get by" but the standard fluorescent (NO) lights won't keep them alive and thriving. You should also be aware that they are not a "hosting" anemone if that was your goal.

It's great that you are researching the needs of this animal but I would recommend that you first decide on the direction you wish the tank to take and the eventual types of corals or possibley clams you wish to keep prior to purchasing any light set up. I would hate to see anyone purchase a set of lights only to find out the corals they want cannot be supported. Lighting is rather $$ and only something you want to buy once.

On a 48" tank you have alot of options and are only limited by budget and desire :D

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
You should also be aware that they are not a "hosting" anemone if that was your goal.

Well, that's not entirely true. My percula is parked inside my Condy right now. I've always heard that they aren't compatible, but seeing is believing. ;) I'll post some pictures when I get them developed.

It's great that you are researching the needs of this animal but I would recommend that you first decide on the direction you wish the tank to take and the eventual types of corals or possibley clams you wish to keep prior to purchasing any light set up.

I agree. I also think that you shouldn't be looking for the "minimum" amount of light for the Condy. They need alot of light to grow the zooanthellae (-1 point for misspelling) that keeps them allive. You should look for a minimum of 3 watts/gallon, as a general rule of thumb for PC, for the Condy to last more than a few weeks. For a 55 gallon, you could probably find a 220 Corallife PC on ebay for less than $200.

HTH.

kidafius said:
steve-s said:
You should also be aware that they are not a "hosting" anemone if that was your goal.

Well, that's not entirely true. My percula is parked inside my Condy right now. I've always heard that they aren't compatible, but seeing is believing. ;) I'll post some pictures when I get them developed.
Wild or tank raised? Ocellaris or percula? My moneys on tank raised ocellaris.. :wink: I see the description says percula but many use this as a general "term", just want to clarify.

Cheers
Steve

Man, the dreaded Condylactus. I remember my first one,.....boy that was a long time ago. Anyways, I had problems with it eating my Royal Gramma(miss the little bugger). Condys come from a cold water environment in the Atlantic Ocean. Course, thats not to say that you couldn't keep in a tropical marine tank....but you might have issues. I personally would not have one again, but I'm not you. As far as the lighting, I thought(I could be wrong...I usually am) that they did not require intense lighting. As far as lighting your aquarium, you would want to look at the wattage of the bulb as well as the spectrum of light it produces. in general, you'll want 2-5 watts per gallon for good coloration, coral growth and algae. If you want a fish only, the standard wattage bulb will be fine. As far as spectrum, well, thats when it gets tricky. 50/50 bulbs are good general use bulbs, providing 50% 06 or actinic and 50% 6700k or 10,000k. Otherwise, you will have to have a fixture for two bulbs, one actinic and one 6700k or 10,000k. An inexpensive option is the SmartLite 48" 96 watt Light. It is a 50/50 power compact bulb. Okay, I think my rambling on has done enough damage. Good Luck 0X

Back
Top Bottom