Condylactis & fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shag318

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, was not sure exactly which forum to post this in so I will try here.

About a week ago, I purchased a condylactis anemone. I will admit I did not realize which anemone it was at the time. I thought it was a normal long tentacle anemone that my clownfish would host but after getting it home, we started noticing the differences. I must say, I got it from a LFS that use to be top notch but I believe their quality must be going down cause apparently the sales women was not aware the kind it was because she did not inform me (she knew what kind I wanted). Anyway, after I put it in my 55 gal long tank, we did research and found out it was aggressive and everything else you could possibly know.

I must say it was actually flourishing in my tank and seemed very happy. He has already almost doubled in size and seems "happy". I did not want to move it but I do not want to take the risk of it eating my fish. I have already had to rescue some of my hermit crabs and a snail a few times after getting stuck to it.

I know it can eat my fish, though I also am aware it is usually unlikely to eat my fish unless they are sick, dying, or just not strong/smart enough to outdo it. So, until I figure something else out, I have switched it to a smaller nano tank by itself with some live rock. My question is....what kind of fish can I risk putting in the tank with it? I only want one or two. I have done tons of research and have read all kinds of different things. I know it is not a host anemone. I read it can create relationships with certain crabs and cleaner shrimps. I also read something about maybe juvenile cardinalfish or cleaner wrasse being okay in a tank with it. At the LFS, she said other aggressive types would work best like a trigger or raccoon butterfly. So to say the least, I am confused. So any advice on choosing a fish?

Note: I do not plan on keeping the anemone in the nano tank forever. Just until I get a different tank or figure out something else. I am just not sure if I trust it in my 55 community tank.

I had a huge Condy in my 55 and it never ate anything other than the mysis i fed it. I had a maroon clown and it hosted it, from what ive read only maroons will host it. I dont know if its going to do well in a nano tank though, do you have strong lights on it? The thing i couldnt stand is how much they move, i was constantly moving coral so they wouldnt get stung...

Well thankfully my 55 long is not a reef tank. Just a FOWLR. So the moving was not as much of a problem except for maybe my cleaning crew at times and then my fish having to get use its position again. I am a little more confident of having it in my 55, I am just being catious I guess. Especially since my fish are still small. I currently only have 2 damsels (2 different kind, I got rid of the ones that turned aggressive), a clownfish (not maroon), and a cleaner wrasse. The anemone is doing okay in the nano..but it looks "lonely" if thats possible.

Back
Top Bottom