Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 PM   #41
AA Team Emeritus

Reopened.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Well, I have to say I've learned more about DSB's in this thread than in any other I have ever read on any site...you guys should write a book. So, I guess the jury is still out on whether the DSB can become a sink and take down the whole tank and probably will be for a while from the looks of things. My question is: Is there a better way to maintain a reef aquarium? Perhaps instead of having the DSB in the tank, it should be in a separate container? Is there any way to tell or any test that will indicate that DSB problems are imminent? Does anyone know exactly what compound or combination of compounds build up in the DSB that bring about it's failure? I know these questions may have been covered indirectly in this post, but I wanted to ask again in a more direct format. "I don't know" is an entirely acceptable answer. Opinions are welcome. If we aren't nice to each other, I expect the thread will be closed again . Any answers that recommend adding an old tennis shoe to the tank will be deleted and the poster thrown naked into a rubbermaid tub with a mad lionfish .

Old 06-20-2003, 10:49 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
loganj i was wondering the same thing will testing for nitrate,nitrites and ammonia cover your bases if they start going up you know you have a problem.are there other tests? very good points were made by all parties, i am still on the seesaw,i just know we all want what is best for our fish.
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:10 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
stupid statement...but isnt the ocean one deep sand bed?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:17 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
stupid statement...but isnt the ocean one deep sand bed?
Yes, it is a deep sand bed with no glass bottom, there are also critters and bacterias in the deepest layers of sediment that we cannot have in our aquariums.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:20 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the 2002 annual of marine fish and reef, the 2000 gallon setup has a 12" DSB
Old 06-21-2003, 12:29 AM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Hoops if I offended I am sorry it was not my intention'

Logan to try to answer your question. Thier are several way to maintain an aquarium and a DSB is definately one way, Bare bottom tanks is another, myself I use a 1 1/2 of CC and thier a several more type and variations, that work just as well. They all boil down to Husbandry (how you care and clean your tank).
Quote:
Perhaps instead of having the DSB in the tank, it should be in a separate container?
Remote sand beds are a way for sure. I did this for awhile. You have to make sure of a few processes but thier is a way.
Quote:
Perhaps instead of having the DSB in the tank, it should be in a separate container?
Ok when you feed your tank, or add additives or do water changes (ASW) you add a huge ammount of inorganic particles. It si not a real big problem as bacteria will bind the ions of the inorganic material to its matrix, BUT. from this you will get byproducts. IE. bacteria can not walk up and take a bit out of an Ion, its secretes enzynes that make the ion liquid, then it can do its thing (but know the enzynes are still in thier. some bacteria use microbes to do it, some attach it to thier shells, then shed them. Then all bacteria dies at some point and new are born. So now if you mix all the enzynes, microbes, chelators, bacterial flock (the shells and husks) in with all the other product that dont get processed at all (ie stuff that is not nitrogen based) and particular dust (basically the sand as it melt to micrscopic sizes you get one big stew of bile. This is what builds up. In the wild heavey wave action and tidal flows sweep away this stuff and deposit it into abyssals of mangrove swamps or sea grass beds and so on (these things love the stuff).
Again folks I am not saying that having a DSB will kill your tank eventually, all I am saying is that eventually it will lose its compacity as a filter. At that point you would have to replace it or some how clean it out again (and I dont think you could clean it while it was in your main).

mike
Old 06-21-2003, 01:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Again folks I am not saying that having a DSB will kill your tank eventually
I understand that is not what you are saying...

I have been thinking of a way to do a 5 stage process, but it takes a lot of room...Like for instance:

The main tank, running into a sump, running into a refugium with macro algae, running through a mangrove patch, then through a sea grass bed, and then back to the tank. I think it would work naturally and probably a long time. But, the cost and space that it would take up is enormous...

Keep in mind that the different regions that are to be created will house native creatures to do the cleanup and purification..
Old 06-21-2003, 01:33 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
This has really scared me out of having DSB, I don't think I'd want to have one if it would kill my tank eventually. How are you gonna go about not having your tank be messed up and being succesful?
Old 06-21-2003, 01:35 AM   #50

Don't let it scare you, the points are that no matter how you decide to setup your tank, in the long run, you run into a possibility of toxicity and maybe killing off the tank because it is a closed system. Who knows. It is still a debate all over the world..

Tags
dsb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com