Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denhay14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my 29 gallon saltwater tank for about two months and everything seems to be going fine, but there are some things I dont understand. For example my live sand by the glass, underneath, is green and red in some spots. What is that? I'm afraid to move it around incase it releases some toxins and kills my fish/coral. Hopefully someone can answer that to start off with.

If know one knows how to solve that problem then here's another. Should I buy a protein skimmer or is it not really needed? If I need one what is a good one and the average price for it. Thanks.

Maybe a few pics would help. I personally would not worry about it. Esp. I would not stir it up. As far as a skimmer I would just do weekly PWC`s. It would accomplish the same in a smaller tank like that.

Hi Denhay,

I have 26gallon too and a skimmer isn't necessary, it took a lot of space and fishes have less area to swim around. I do PWC more often to keep off the high nitrate and it's all good. :)

I dont know how to upload pictures but I think its algae just wasnt sure. How do I get rid of it and/or prevent it from reoccuring more often.

My tank is the same way with the sand along the front. Some of it's coralline algae, other is just algae algae. I just let mine be, but from time to time I siphon out the sand along the front edge of the glass to get rid of it. Nothing bad will happen as long as you limit yourself to just the sand along the front edge.

Now if what you're dealing with is cyanobacteria (red, slimy stuff) then that's a different story.

Alright well that situation seems to be normail which is a relief. Next thing that seems to be fixed but I dont think we should have to fix it by the way we did it. The water flow in the tank I have seems to be going extremly fast which caused the water not to be able to get through the filters quick enough, and started shooting out air. Nothing is blocking the water flow, so we used two paper clip things to slow down the water flow; which has been succesful. Is that ok if I did that, and is there a problem if the water flow isn't going as fast as it was?

That pictures looks like coralline algae, but it's too early/hard to tell. Keep an eye on it, and in the mean time read up about "cyanobacteria" just in case.

Regarding your filter issue... gonna need more info on your setup. Not sure how you're using the paper clips, but it doesn't sound like a good idea. Let alone the fact that they'll rust in about a week's time. If the water coming into the chamber isn't enough to make up for the amount that's coming out... something's wrong.

The tube that brings the water from the pump to the nozel that shoots the water out is where it is clipped together. I have it so it's not submerged in water which doesn't cause it to rust very much. My filter set up is a wet/dry filter is what it's called I believe. It has the the threadlike pad in the begining, then the carbon balls, and finally the pump.

Sorry, confused by your description; perhaps a picture again would help us to understand what you are asking.

Back
Top Bottom