Confused about Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jah4good

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I'm new new new and want to start a reef tank. I've been doing research on Filtration but still very confused. I have a 90 gal tank and will have live sand, not sure how much I need, and 90 lbs or more of live rock. I can't do a sump, and I'm not really sure what I should do. Skimmer? Carbon? I guess I could do a hob sump, but heard they aren't good. I just need help. Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

You can use a HOB overflow to set up a sump. I love the CPR overflows. That can open up the world when it comes to utilizing a skimmer and other types of filtration.

That's what I was afraid of. I saw a HOB filter/sump/Skimmer advertised for up to a 150 gal but the total gal cycle was like 500gph. Not enough, right?

That's what I was afraid of. I saw a HOB filter/sump/Skimmer advertised for up to a 150 gal but the total gal cycle was like 500gph. Not enough, right?

You can't go by the gph on a skimmer. You are totally looking at different aspects of a skimmer to determine how good it is.
HOB are a tough on to get a good one to begin with, but the ones listed would help you well.
If you were going with a sump, that would expand our list quite a bit, then we could get into bubble plates, cones and L/H Air Intake

Ok, I'll go with one of the skimmers you suggested. How accurate is the rating of "quiet operation"? I have heard they are quite noisy.

Skimmers are skimmers. They take in air and its gets chopped up by an impellar, not many are very quiet.

Good to know. Thanks for all you're help!

Back
Top Bottom