Confused about test results (help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaron26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently had my first bacterial bloom in my saltwater tank I thought the cycle would be almost over so I bought some tests and this is what came out, how much longer do you think IMG_1510786361.411325.jpgIMG_1510786388.055904.jpg

Though test strips are inaccurate, it appears your cycle is still ongoing. You’ll need your nitrites will need to be 0 as well.
Keep in mind, a cycle can take 6-8 weeks.

Though test strips are inaccurate, it appears your cycle is still ongoing. You’ll need your nitrites will need to be 0 as well.
Keep in mind, a cycle can take 6-8 weeks.

Yea it’s been 8 weeks, and how inaccurate, kinda just blight them so see when the cycle is done

thats why its taking so long drop a deli shrimp in to help speed up the process
use a ladys stocking to hold the shrimp to keep the mess contained
I wouldn't trust those test strips they can be inaccurate , get yourself a decent liquid test kit , like a red sea or sulfert , avoid api reef test kit half the readings will be false

I agree, decent test kits can be pricey but are absolutely essential. The api test kits I started with are nowhere near sensitive enough for the needs of a salt water tank.

Red sea is fantastic and Hannah checkers are even better. The cost of the original test kits are high, but refill reagents are available at very reasonable prices.

I agree, decent test kits can be pricey but are absolutely essential. The api test kits I started with are nowhere near sensitive enough for the needs of a salt water tank.

Red sea is fantastic and Hannah checkers are even better. The cost of the original test kits are high, but refill reagents are available at very reasonable prices.

For cycling, api is great for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. No need to go further than that with costly Reef tests when cycling.

For cycling, api is great for the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. No need to go further than that with costly Reef tests when cycling.

Okay thanks however I found an amazing deal on kijiji it’s a liquid test kit with 18 different tests for 10$ so I think I’ll pick it up, thanks for your help [emoji108]

True, but you use the api tests What? Maybe 10 - 15 times over the course of a cycle then it sits on the shelf because you don't have any other use for it. Following that you need to spend the money on the higher quality test kits anyways. Red sea costs on average $.10 - $.15 per test.

I’ve never heard of kijiji in terms of test kits. I’d say hopefully they are accurate, but a broader spectrum will work when we are just talking about cycling.
Mebbid, the same for above applies. We aren’t talking about Reef quality gear here. We are just talking about getting Aaron through the cycling process here. API is good enough for cycling and cheap enough to get for someone just entering the hobby. If Aaron gets into a Reef system, I’ll point him towards Red Sea or Hanna checkers due to their accuracy.

I’ve never heard of kijiji in terms of test kits. I’d say hopefully they are accurate, but a broader spectrum will work when we are just talking about cycling.
Mebbid, the same for above applies. We aren’t talking about Reef quality gear here. We are just talking about getting Aaron through the cycling process here. API is good enough for cycling and cheap enough to get for someone just entering the hobby. If Aaron gets into a Reef system, I’ll point him towards Red Sea or Hanna checkers due to their accuracy.

Okay yea thanks I’m only 14 and do not have too much money to pour into this however I feel I do have a okay system so far being lucky with a free aquaclear 30 and free tank and I will consider a Red Sea

Back
Top Bottom