Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Confused about the rocks !!!!!

This is my 1st saltwater tank its a biocube 14 i have been reading about the rocks i was going to use in the previous days my cousin cycled his tank with live rock live sand and dosed wih ammonia but later had trouble with hitchhikers so i decided to go with dry rock.

So my questions are do i need to cure dry rock ? Can i setup the tank how i want to and let it cure there like add sand ,live rock ,saltwater and cycle?

Or

Do i just treat it like uncured live rock where it has enogh die off to cycle from the die off ?

Also does it matter how long its been dry and will it affect the cycle ?

So my question is can i cycle and cure my tank at the same time?

Help i just want to cycle my tank with dry rock

Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah you can cycle and cure at the same time, the only thing you want to watch for is trapped phosphates in the dry rock IMO. That's the only reason I soak dry rock for a couple weeks before adding ammonia, high nitrates from the cycle with high phosphates being leached by the dry rock equals a massive algae bloom.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So how would i set up my tank and trigger both cycling and curing? Also is their any chemical that removes phosphate? I'll do big water changes the first week after the cycle ends.

To remove nitrates

BigRedReef10 help
Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Curing rock and cycling it are basically the same thing. You cycle your tank to build up the beneficial bacteria for your nitrate cycle so your fish don't die. If you have a tank already established, you cure your rock in a separate container to prevent die off from the rock from causing a parameter spike and poisoning your fish.

There is filter media like GFO, Chemipure, and there are others. The best way to remove phosphates is to simply prevent it from going in by using ro/di water and feeding sparingly or rinsing off frozen food.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thankyou sniperhank and i no i dont have the tank already established like BigRedsReefs10 the dryrock might leech phosphate which i will run phosgaurd while the dry rock is cycling with the live sand which i will use to seed the dry rock i think another thing does it affect my cycle how long the dry rock has been dry i go to a trusted lfs ran by really nice folks and the owner told me the dry rock already arrives dry and sits in the boxes for god knows how long also like i mentioned i will be adding ammonia to the tank instead of fish food or a deli shrimp so can i also add bio spira since bio spira feeds on fish waste which is ammonia please get back at me asap
Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, i read in another forum that for me to completely dodge 6 months of dealing with phosphates i should dip the dry rock in muriatic acid, so i will be dipping my rocks. but what about after im done? What do i do? Do i just set up my tank with live and the now super clean dry rock and treat it like dry rock and let it cycle or what? I do not want any live rock in my tank so will the live sand be enogh to seed the dry rock and also how long should it take to cycle and / or become live rock
Old 08-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Your rock becomes live after the cycle. No matter what you end up with live rock in your tank. It being live refers to the beneficial bacteria that colonizes the surface area and powers your nitrate cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I understand but can i use bio spira since it feeds on ammonia and i will be dosing with ammonia to start my cycle and will the sand be enogh to seed the dry rock i do want live rock but pest free live roxk i dont want to add a piece of live rock with the dry rock since i dont know what critters it has
Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Confused about the rocks !!!!!

You don't need any live rock or sand. Just add an ammonia source. You don't need to seed anything.
As for biosparta, never used it so can't say how it works. It has a shelf life. All I know.

But I do know you need to use some punctuation. Your posts are hard to read without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay im sorry for the punctuation. Also im setting up my tank this is the reason im asking what i was supposed to do. What i want to know is if i just setup my tank dry rock , live sand , saltwater , add ammonia , cycle for a month , add CUC , 1 week later add my first fish and go from there

Tags
rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com