Confused about which filter media to change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrystalClear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I have 2 filters in my 75 gal tank. A HOB Marineland 350B filter. I also got the extra carbon filter bags for it, it says to change those every month. Is that necessary?

I also have a Marineland C-360 Canister Filter that has several different filter media chambers. It says to change the polishing floss pad every month, it then has the ceramic rings (don't change), bio balls (don't change), Carbon filter bags (says to change every month), and the filter foam is last (change every ninth week). Can some of these media go longer than others and does it matter if you leave some of them in longer?

Also I believe someone mentioned that you can take out the bio balls and replace that compartment with more ceramic rings...is that a good idea?

Thank you.

Carbon usually only lasts 7 days.

I only change my sponges(filter foam)when they absolutely need it/

Every 2 filter cleanings do I clean the sponges is old tank water. I change or re-activate the chemical media every filter cleaning.

I have never changed the bio media, added to it but never changed it.

Ceramic has a much greater surface area due to it being porous, the bacteria gets all up inside the tiny craters in the ceramic surface virtually doubling the surface area for inhabitance of the bacteria. Ceramic rings are the only biomedia I use in all my filters.

Back
Top Bottom