Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Confused...Little help please!

First of all I would like to say that I am VERY new to this hobby. I was given a 155 gallon tank by a friend that went away in the military a few months ago. The tank has a wet/dry "sump" underneath so that will be used as my filter.
On each side of the rear of the tank are TWO holes (total of 4) drilled. TWO return lines (from the pump, back to the tank) and 2 drain lines (from the tank back to the sump). I have a brand new "Pondmaster Magdrive 1800" (1800gph) pump that I will use to supply water back to the tank (6 ft head at 1150gph) that will be run with a single line connecting to the two returns. Both drains will join in to a single line that will gravity feed back to the sump.
I also have a Sicce 0.5 (180gph) pump that I will run from the sump to the 80w "Emporer Aquatics" UV filter, then back to the sump again.
Not having much experience with aquariums, I have a few questions...

1. My drains on both sides of the aquarium seem to be placed very low (almost on the bottom of the tank). (See the pic attached). They have a small blue hard filter of some sort affixed over the top. I assume water will travel to the overflow, fall to the bottom to be picked up by the drain. Is this appropriate? Or should this pipe be extended higher. When I was given the tank, the sleeve was filled with "bioballs" from top to bottom.
2. The pump that I have is rather large for this aquarium, though it seems. Will the two drains provide the sump with enough water to keep the water level high enough? Or will the pump "out run" the drains?
3. It seems to me that the "gravity fed" drains will surely send water RACING to the sump, defeating the "trickle" needed to properly filter. Clarification?
4. If I need a "check valve(s), where should they be placed? On the return, drain lines, or both? I surely DO NOT want a flood.

Thank you for being patient with me. I am very new to this hobby and almost embarrassed of my ignorance. In time, I will learn but I am pretty clueless as of the present time.....Thanks again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0169.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	45066

Peoplepc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Welcome to AA! and dot apologize for the questions, questions are very good and help us to learn more. in terms of the sump underneath and the "trickle" effect, I've seen the best thing to do is have 2 outlets for your incoming water, one that bypasses your refugium part, and then the other will be your outlet that empties into your refugium, to achieve the trickle effect, simply install a ball valve on the outlet, and you can adjust it accordingly to get whatever flow you like.in terms of the syphon break that a lot of people use, I don't use a dedicated one. On my 125 I have dual overflow boxes just as you do, so I do have two outlet and two inlet pipes, but my inlet pipes that empty water back into the tank, they have 2 shapeable jet nozzles on each side, what I do is aim one down low in the tank and the other I leave partially exposed above water level..what that does is when my return pump stops, the exposed jet nozzle actually acts as a syphon break by sucking air, therefore preventing back syphoning into my refugium I also believe the overflow drain is supposed to be taller... You don't want that overflow box to completely drain in any evet, it puts a lot of pressure on the supporting wall that has to hold back the tank water, and also its just that much water emptying into your sump upon pump shutoff, I'd recommend having it extended but that's just my opinion.
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com