Confused with cycle test readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
What I am confused about is my Nitrate. I thought the only way for it to be reduced is by a water change?

I am getting close to the end of my cycle, below are my readings from my last 3 tests:

Date----Ammo----Nitrite----Nitrate
4/10-----0.25------4.5------120
4/13-----0.25------0.25------15
4/14-----0.25------0.1------8

The trate reading of 120 was my first test for that, it's possible I messed up and looked through the side of the vial or some other dumb mistake.
My sand is starting to turn brown (diatoms?) in the low flow area. I also added 40# of lr from lr.com on 4/8. My ammo was much higher and is on the way down.
Does this look like a normal cycle?

I started with 2 shrimp on 3/13 but they're gone now. Now all that is in there is the lr (and hitchikers). I was going to wait until ammo and trite were 0 before putting fish in.
I just wasn't expecting my trates to drop like that :?:

It seems that you probably cycled your tank and the LR has caused a mini cycle. The process of removing nitrates is called denitrification. This process requires anaeroebic bacteria which can be found deep within LR. It is still best to lower high nitrates with water changes and it seems like that is a big drop between 3 days. It may have possibly been a false/contaminated test. Give it a couple of days for the amm and nitrites to hit zero and you should be good to go.

Still, you need an ammonia source to keep the cycle going. Many people "feed" their tanks until fish are present. I used sinking pellets and a few pinches of food.

Don't overdo, of course!!

But if my tests still show Ammo I shouldn't need to "feed" should I?

Also, at those levels, is it safe to add a small cleanup crew? My lr has crabs, snails etc and they seem to be doing fine.

High Nitrite levels can give a false nitrate reading. Since the nitrate level dropped when nitrite level dropped that probably the case. What type of light are you in when you read the ammonia test. Different light sources can make the color more yellow than it real is. Also the difference in color is very close so you may have zero ammonia.

I read the tests in my basement workroom which has fluorescents. I know your supposed to read them in dufuse daylight but I don't.
I do have difficulty matching the lighter colors - they all look about the same.

Fluorescents will make it even harder to read. Take it near a window or outside (just not in direct sun). Its probably zero.

Your probably safe to start adding clean up crew since others are doing well. Just do a slow drip to acclimatize them.

IMO add nothing till the cycle is done... Why take a chance when not needed. Thats just me, snails and crabs can add up$$$ No need to add right away. Also no need to feed anything to the tank, you used shrimp and may have had some die of the lr so that is plenty
Sit back and wait it out your almost there why rush it when your so close. While your waiting to add stuff read up on proper acclimation for inverts and fish... Make yourself or buy a drip line and wait the extra week or two..
The last thing you want to do is kill the first critter you add to the tank.... This will make you think about "why did I get into this hobby"!!!!

I wasn't trying to rush anything - just curious about my trate numbers.

Tested last night, ammo ~.2 (looked about the same in daylight) and trite ~.05

Having said that....I did purchase 4 baby hermits (99 cents ea) and a turbo snail on Friday :oops:
They are all doing great, I can't believe the job the snail is doing! My plan was that if they are all still going strong this Friday to purchase 2 clowns (provided my water params are the same or better). Bad idea?

Back
Top Bottom