Confusing??? HYDRMR and REFRMR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright I'm a little confused about Hydrometer and Refractometer I know one is more accurate than the other if it's more accurate they why spend money on the other???? I have a Hydrometer and now I am wondering if my Salinity is Accurate.... Could someone tell me that it's ok to use a Hydrometer.......:peace::morning:

Wish I could but I can't. It'll get ya by but a class act like you.. well please... you need the best and most accurate..

I agree 100%, I was really surprised at the difference between my hydrometer and the refractometer. The refracto should run about $40ish. I do like the fact that the refracto takes into account water temp.

"Conductivity" hmm, pretty interesting. So an electrical current measurement is more accurate than light? What about temp?

"Conductivity" hmm, pretty interesting. So an electrical current measurement is more accurate than light? What about temp?

That's all the digital salinity meters are measuring... conductivity. I think where the accuracy comes into play is the consistency of interpreting the reading. Measuring conductivity digitally doesn't really leave any interpretation into it. But trying to figure out where exactly that line is on the refractometer... that's open to that darn human factor!

Correct Kurt. Conductivity meters are only as accurate as the quality of calibration standards, which provides much better results and the users confidence in accepting of the data provided from that unit. Refractometers are nice because of portability vs. reasonable data as long as you receive a quality product :)

So it's Official Refractometers are Better I mean "Better for Conductivity".... HUM UM..... Nice!!!... :)

No, conductivity meters are more precise, but refracs will meet you half way in also being portable. If the instrument is well made, you calibrate properly, and you feel you are proficient in using it then both are acceptable ;)

Cool, thanks for the info James and Kurt (going to make me buy more stuff just so I can check it out....guess the LED lighting system may have to wait a bit longer....sigh)..

Even with my bad eyesight I can clearly see the lines in my refractometer. That's why it has the viewing adjustment built it. Together with ATC and fresh calibration fluid I completely trust my refractometer. Would I rather have a calibrated electrical instrument? In most case yes. It's a cost/benefit thing.

Back
Top Bottom