Confusion on cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycapz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey

So I put 15 lbs of live rock in my 26g SW tank setup a week ago. I also upgraded to an aquaclear 70 a few days ago. I'm seeing all kinds of mixed messages about fishless cycling. I rather not torture damsels to get the job done. What's your taking on using pure ammonia? I bought some as this seemed like the easiest method. I am not sure as to how much and often to add or what to look for. Could use some advice! Be greatly appreciated.

Also with live rock in there about 3 days, small parts of one the live rock has gone from brown to green ish, like its dieing. It's an aqua cultured rock. The other big Fiji Rock still looks nice n purple. This normal this soon?

Hey

So I put 15 lbs of live rock in my 26g SW tank setup a week ago. I also upgraded to an aquaclear 70 a few days ago. I'm seeing all kinds of mixed messages about fishless cycling. I rather not torture damsels to get the job done. What's your taking on using pure ammonia? I bought some as this seemed like the easiest method. I am not sure as to how much and often to add or what to look for. Could use some advice! Be greatly appreciated.

Also with live rock in there about 3 days, small parts of one the live rock has gone from brown to green ish, like its dieing. It's an aqua cultured rock. The other big Fiji Rock still looks nice n purple. This normal this soon?

Rock is showing signs of die off, that will help cycle the tank. Add a raw shrimp for your ammonia source, sit back, test and watch your cycle.

Ok. So the Lfs employee totally blew off the idea of cycling. He said just throw in your fish, there's nothing in your tank - blah blah blah. So I choose to ignore the advice cause it seems more trust the cycle and I rather not burn my wallet.

I took a few readings, I'm at two weeks in. Live rock added less than 1 week as stated above.

Nitrates 20 ppm
Nitrates 0
ammonia 0
Ph 7.8

Used API master test. I find the API ammonia test more of an eye check, it looks yellow to me.

This sound right so far?

If ur lfs told u dont worry about cycling..imo u need to find another lfs... If they told u wrong once they will again..at possibly ur expense.... :mad:

Only movement is the filter flow is right above the live rock. I'm waiting on a powerhead this week.

Can I just throw pure ammonia in there instead? Not to crazy about the shrimp idea.

Yes you can use pure Ammonia. Supposedly Ace have it. Something about a shake test on the bottle of Ammonia, no bubbles after shaking it.

Back
Top Bottom