Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
Id say 26g is to small for a dwarf lion imo. But if your looking for one interesting fish an angler would work, and are some of the coolest looking creatures on the planet. The striated and wartskin are my 2 favorites.

You also don't need 1.5 lbs of rock per gal, 1lb is fine. And a skimmer isn't necessary on this size tank. And no a hob filter doesn't do the same job as a skimmer, but because larger percentage wcs are easier on nano tanks they aren't really necessary. 25% weekly will keep you right where you want your params and it's only 6 gallons or so

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agree with you on the stocking but not on the amount of rock.While one lb per gallon may work
It is not sufficient without having a skimmer or doing the large weekly water changes.

I run a 20 gallon high reef with one powerhead and Fluval hob that I use media in.I have one and a half lbs of rock and three to four inch sand bed.I only do a weekly water change of one gallon
And have zero nitrates.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457111601.597758.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	285242

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok, so this is looking easier than I thought then - one powerhead, one HOB and plenty of live rock and sand and all should be good!
Should I stick with the filter media that I assume comes with a HOB, or should I remove it and replace with something else?

Oh, and I just looked up the fish you recommended - oh my god, little bit in love! I think I've seen these for sale but usually really tiny. Ridiculously cute - maybe even better than a lionfish! I take it it would still be only one in a tank, due to their eventual size and, I'm assuming from the look of them, aggressiveness?!!

Old 03-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #13

Just had a quick scout online and it seems that Aquaclears are rated quite highly. I can get an Aquaclear 50 for between £30 and £40 and this does 750 lph and is rated for tanks up to 190L - would this be suitable or would I need to find one that does more? If it needs to be bigger then recommendations on cheaper, but also efficient HOBs would be appreciated!!
Old 03-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would be,keep the sponge and carbon pouch but lose the bio balls.Get the Chemi-pure elite to use in place of them.It comes in a pouch to put in the hob filter.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #15

Awesome! That's brilliant, I will be getting one next payday methinks!
Thank you all so much for your help and advice, will keep you updated how the tank goes and I'm afraid I will probably also bother you with questions again soon enough!!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just seen this thread. Why not use the top tank as the saltwater and you could use the bottom as a display fuge. Have a deeper sandbed and lots of macro algeas. You could drill the top tank and install overflow or buy a hob overflow drain down to bottom tank and put a return pump into bottom tank. Lot of work. But it would look nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #17

Well I could do that but there's some axolotls that might be a bit put out getting kicked out their tank!! The other two tanks in the stack are inhabited so unfortunately that is not an option!!

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com