connecting refugium to dt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to set up a 5gal refugium BENEATH my 29gal is this possible? how does it work I've never had one or even seen one in real life for that matter

5 gallon may be to small, the return pump would take up most of the space in it. if you want to go that small then do an above tank or a hang on the back one. now, i know you emphisized beneath but liek i said a return pump would take up around a quarter of the fuge, makign it pointless to have, you could go with atleast a 10g if you go beneath

as far as what they do they are a refuge for critters and micro algae that will get eaten or will take over your main display tank. they are also used as a means of filtration, when cuppled with chaetomorpha and a deep sand bed

I take it a 10G is too big? I use a 10G under my 38G and I'm happy with it.

Basically a fuge has 3 chambers, one for water going into it, one for the macro algae and one for the return pump. Since your 29 probably isn't drilled you will have to use an overflow box which can be challenging at times but once you know the ins and outs of it not hard. You will need some type of light for the algae. This is basically a decent looking fuge
YouTube - 10 Gallon DIY Sump Refugium Reef Tank - Tunze 9002 Skimmer HD
The only place I would question is where the skimmer is since that is where the water is going in, it just seems a little small.

a fuge doesn't need chambers. maybe only one for the return pump. but you can have yor over flows go directly into the fuge chamber under the water level.

there is really not even a need to store your equipment in it, just leave it as a refuge from the display tank, since the biocubes already have a "sump" which hides everything

YouTube - Rubbermaid Refugium- saltwaterworx.net

Back
Top Bottom