Considering converting fresh to salt, things to know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gal fresh water. I'm considering moving it all to my empty 20 gal, and making the 40 a salt water tank.

I have a standard fsf light that came with the tank, and a marine land bio 200 filter. There is a air pump on it to, dont know if I need that in salt or not?

I'm doing work for an aquarium store owner right now, and it sounds like hes offering to stock and setup everything for me with whatever I need.

Thanks

You can keep fish only with a standard flourescent light fixture and the bubbler isnt needed in salt water. :)

The filter will be fine too and a skimmer is optional as long as you do weekly water changes. Some will say a skimemr is a must but for your tank size you are on the borderline of needing one in my opinion.

You would just need sand and some live rock ad you could be set to go. You will want to use ro/di water though so see if your store has that. A refractometer is also needed to check salinity, about $30 on ebay for that. And just get a good test kit, like an API liquid saltwater master kit for your cycling.

Thats about it really.
:)

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the shop owner want to give me the lights, live rock and sand from his tanks, corral, fish, shrimp,

Thanks for the help, good to know what I'm getting into. Just moved all my fresh water to the 20g tonight in getting reddy for whatever.

Back
Top Bottom