Considering FOWLR, how's my equipment look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeatx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a few freshwater Cichlid tanks over the past few years and was planning on setting up a new freshwater tank. I've ordered everything I need for freshwater, but wouldn't need much more to go salt, maybe full reef eventually.

Here's what I have:

Aqueon 39 Gallon Corner Bowfront (All tempered glass, so not drilled)
Matching stand (Very little cab space :/)
AquaticLife 24" (2x 10k, 2x Actinic, 2x LED Moon) Built in timer
Fluval 404 (Many years use, but I already had it and seals are all new)
ETH 201 In-Line Heater
Coralife Turbo Twist 9W (Mostly intended for disease control or algea outbreak, if needed)

I think what I would like to add to this list is:

Protein Skimmer
Replaced the Fluval with a Sump/pump(s)
Overflow box
Live Sand and some live rock

My questions are:

I have only 11"x15" space at the bottom of the cabinet for a sump, any suggestions on where to find a well built one near that size?

The tank fits perfectly in a corner I've picked out, but a 3" deep overflow is going to interfere. Does anyone make a really slim overflow box? Maybe 1"-1 1/4" box with 3/4" bulkhead?

Haven't done much research on Protein Skimmers, any suggestions. I've noticed the price range is staggering... See them online pretty cheap, saw some at the LFS going for $400. I assume capacity and quality is really what your paying for?

Anyone know where to find a canopy to fit this tank? I do have the glass lid, but as I understand I shouldn't use it with salt.

I have a big limestone rock, it's got opening everywhere. It's more of a fish maze than any other limestone rock I've seen. I assume it would be safe in the salt, would coral and good algea eventually grow on it, even though its not live rock?

Finally, if I wanted to add coral in the future, would the light I've purchased be sufficient or is metal halide a must at that point?

How many watts are your bulbs? What type lighting system is it? Need to know this to see if it will be OK for reef. MH`s are not a must.

You may have to DIY the overflow unless you back the tank ofthe wall to give you the 3+ inches you need.

Octopus skimmers get high marks and are inexpensive compared to the high end skimmers, yet use the same design features of the high end units.

With the limited space uner the cabinet you probably need a HOB skimmer.

I see 36 gallon bow and corner tanks in the Aqueon lineup. Are you sure abouot the tank capacity?

So you have a total of 96w of T5 lighting. A lot depends on the reflectors. I don't see mention of highly polished, parabloic design, just that they are individual reflectors. That's better than a single reflector, but how efficient is it? A highly polished, individual, parabolic reflector cna put 98% of the light output from a bulb into the tank. That's what makes T5HO so good when compared to PC fixtures that put considerably less into the tank.

IMO your light would be fine for low - medium light corals, but not clams or high light sps.

welcometoaa.gif

How many watts are your bulbs? What type lighting system is it? Need to know this to see if it will be OK for reef. MH`s are not a must.

The light is 96 Watts total 2x24W 10K Bulbs and 2x24W Actinic

I type-o'd the capacity, it is the 36 gallon corner.

The AquaticLife does have decent reflectors, I don't have much to compare them too but most reviews say they're definitely better than Coralife and an all around good light. The built in timer is quite nice, can program a full 24 hour cycle.

If I add coral at some point, I could possibly add a single MH or shorter T5 over the corner area. I'm gonna try build the canopy for it next week. That'll give me a better idea of how much more room for lighting will be available.

I think I can modify the stand just a bit and get more depth. I realized I can slide a 10 Gallon tank in there. I'm pretty sure the ESHOPPS 10G and both Aqueon Model 1 sumps would fit, likely others; still researching and might DIY something after I choose a protein skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom