Considering saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all! I am not new entirely to aquariums. I currently have two freshwater tanks, a 40 breeder a 36 bowfront. However, saltwater has always captured my eye as the fish you can keep are all so much more exotic and interesting (imo) Which brings me to why we are here....I have no clue about saltwater fish keeping. I have read through lots of the threads on here and it seems that without the background knowledge I only stay more confused. Since this would be my first tank I am wanting to take it slow. No need to rush as good things always come to those who wait...and get their wife's blessings. Luckily I am patient and have said blessings. From some online research I seem to think a Oceanic biocube would be a good starter tank for me, I am thinking the 14 model. Thoughts on this for those of you who have one or know anything of them? I also considered changing my 36 bowfront to saltwater. I feel the biocube would be easier on me as a first timer since it would be an all in one solution. We will start here and see how long I last before I chicken out or take the plunge.

Do you know what type of fish you want? That will help decide on the size of tank. Nano Fish Remember the smaller the tank the less error margin you have. Do you want a reef tank or a simple fish only tank?

I think I would like to have a reef tank, however, every time I see people talking about it they have ro/di units. I don't want to have to deal with that. Are these units required for reef tanks. Honestly, not a whole lot on the stock, I would like a clown and a catalina goby...other than that no clue.

Clowns and catalina gobies have very different temperature requirements. Honestly, I wouldn't start with a biocube. I just started with saltwater a few months ago...my first fishtanks ever :) Go with a 30 or 40 gal...it'll end up costing close to the same as the biocube anyway, but they are way more forgiving of error and less demanding on time. I have a biocube 14 right now...just FYI, it only holds about 10 gallons; not much space. If I knew that prior, I wouldn't have bought it - would've went with the biocube 29.

Saltwater is definitely worth it though...the fish are amazing - so much personality and color!!

you may or may not run into a lot of difficulty without a R.O.D.I. unit. it's much better to have one, or at least purchase premade water from the LFS and use some store bought purified water for top offs.

what about live rock? Is it a must or could I just buy base rock and take more time and it become "live" later?

you can buy base rock. it will become live in around the same time IMO, if you add an ammonia source.

I have a friend with a 12 gallon tank he buys his saltwater and gets his top off water from me. Having a small reef tank the hardest part is keeping it topped of when you can afford it get an ATO.

Base rock is good because you won't have any unwanted hitchhikers,

how much should I expect to pay per lb. for base rock. My lfs charges $12.50 a lb. for live rock. Seems extremely steep.

Also, if I go with say my 36 as a saltwater tank would I need a skimmer if I just have a fowlr or is it only needed in a reef tank?

Base rock is pretty cheap since it's completely dry; around $1-2/pound. I got mine from Bulk Reef Supply and MarcoRocks. My LFS charges $19.50 a lb. unless you by multiple pounds. You should still get a few live rocks though, to help seed your dry rock.

I was under the impression skimmers were more based on the size of the tank rather than what's in it, although I'm sure if you're going reef you will need it. I have a 40G FOWLR and I don't use a skimmer (although I do have one still in the box lol). I use a PolyFilter Pad and it works really well.

Back
Top Bottom