considering seahorse tank, input and advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
so im currently cycling my 55g to start a reef tank and have happened across seahorses frequently while researching various things. i take it as a sign that i need seahorses. how freaking awesome would that be, friend comes over "oh nice aquarium" and the response being "ya thats my seahorse tank" followed with "you have seahorses, thats bleeping awesome". on a serious note i know they are delicate creatures and are not just to be a novelty but from what i have read on them they are very social and beyond unique creatures that inspire awe in all who gaze upon them. this is not something im starting tomorrow or any other time soon, more realistically a year or more down the road. i figure now is the time to start looking into the does and donts and start researching requirements, compatability and realistic outlook on this idea becoming reality. i know it can be done but want to go in with the maximum amount of knowledge i can. i have a 29g tank that i think would work well from my research and am curious what sort of equipment i will need to go along with it. i am aware flow is an issue so the system will need solid flow but it has to be limited as they are poor swimmers. is a skimmer needed?do i need reactors and dosing various minerals? also want input on compatible coral if any aswell as lighting requirements. i will likely do a fowlr in this situation but if possible some low light coral that wont kill the seahorses will be added. please folks chime in and give me your experience and wisdom. my wife loves my 29g planted but a seahorse tank with a pair in it would blow planted out of the water. from what ive read a pair of seahorses sounds mindblowing to watch interact, a creature that dances and gets excited when it sees its mate in the morning- sounds pretty impressive to me. now its your turn so fire away.

Back
Top Bottom