Considering starting a SW tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking of starting a SW tank soon. I have been looking thru CL and will be shopping a store which sells used tanks but I think I may just buy a 20gal and add on used equipment from there.
First things first - no I cannot go over 20G. MAYBE if I find an amazing deal I will go to 29 but unlikely for me to be lucky enough - lol.
So if I go 20, would it be okay to go 20L as I kind of like the idea of a shallower tank.
It will likely be FOWLR with maybe down the line some soft/easy corals.
Id like to put an AC 50 or 70 on it...would that work?
I know NOTHING about skimmers or powerheads....so this will require more research.
Also if I buy the SW premixed from Petco will that work? They are the closest FS near me.
Guess I will start here....
Thanks for your help people!

Check out the nano reef threads, there's some really good build threads there that will probably cover most of your questions :)

If you wait for petco's dollar per gallon sale a 29 gallon is only 9 bucks more. Not that much more of an investment and going bigger is always better in the aquarium world! lol. Although I am not too experienced in SW (started my first one last fall) filters aren't totally necessary in SW and you could likely get away with live rock and a few power heads. Petco's premixed SW is great but it'd probably be much cheaper in the long run to buy a salt mix such as reef crystals (myself and many other members of the forum use it, been working great for me so far) and either invest in a RODI unit or purchase distilled water from a local supermarket.

If you wait for petco's dollar per gallon sale a 29 gallon is only 9 bucks more. Not that much more of an investment and going bigger is always better in the aquarium world! lol. Although I am not too experienced in SW (started my first one last fall) filters aren't totally necessary in SW and you could likely get away with live rock and a few power heads. Petco's premixed SW is great but it'd probably be much cheaper in the long run to buy a salt mix such as reef crystals (myself and many other members of the forum use it, been working great for me so far) and either invest in a RODI unit or purchase distilled water from a local supermarket.

I was thinking that may be more expensive to get distilled water - no?
About how much does a RODI unit cost?
If I do go for the 20 is the Long going to be okay?
Me and boyfriend saw this amazing 70g super shallow reef tank (probably only like 1.5 - 2ish feet deep) and ever since we love the idea of a shallow one. If I ever win the lotto I will be getting a huge reef table lol.
I have been scanning thru the nano forums and wasn't sure where to post this since I am just 'Getting Started'
Will probably post there once I figure out what size I'm going with.
Thanks for your help.

I'd really consider a 29-30 gallon. They are just a lot easier to work with. Even better would be a cube of some sort.

RODI is definitely cheaper in the long run. I believe you can get one on Bulk Reef Supply for 130 bucks? I do not have one, although I've heard good things about it. I believe there is a group buy going on BRS right now. There's a thread here somewhere. You might want to check it out. Group buys get you free shipping and discounts I believe.
A 20 long is perfectly fine. Although if I were you, I'd definitely go bigger. More room for fun! lol

i love shallow tank for softies especially for Zoath garden is awsome.
For softies need to have less water flow, you really don't want to go too much with power head, for nano tank I found even the smallest power head is too much. You can even use a wet dry filter and remove the media and replace it with maybe a bag of carbon. That would provide some flow and yet not too strong

i love shallow tank for softies especially for Zoath garden is awsome.
For softies need to have less water flow, you really don't want to go too much with power head, for nano tank I found even the smallest power head is too much. You can even use a wet dry filter and remove the media and replace it with maybe a bag of carbon. That would provide some flow and yet not too strong

What is an example of a wet/dry filter?

it is not a must, most people will suggest just doing water change. The reason why I don't like canister filter is because there is no gas exchange in the canister filter and as time move by, it will eventually become a nitrate generator

Back
Top Bottom