Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Considering starting a tank for the first time.

I have always had fresh water aquariums and admired salt water but have never had one. I currently have a 55 gallon freshwater set up and running well so there is not much of a challenge to it anymore.

I have two empty tanks at the moment and I am considering making one into a salt water. I have a 29 gallon and a 55 gallon. I have always heard that with salt water it is always best to go as big as you can...

I would love to get some opinions from people with experience. I currently have none.... I would love to be able to have live rock and coral and a few colorful fish when all is said and done if I choose to go with salt water.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

JCarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
The main difference between salt and fresh is water purity IMO. Treated tap water while fine for fw setups is a big no no in reefs. First thing I would look into is ro/di water either bought from a lfs or get your own unit( best $200 I've spent in this hobby was my ro/di unit). On your tank sizes I think the 29 would be easier to make into a reef because it's shallower and deeper than the 55

BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
The 29 would be cheaper, but the 55 has many more options and will be easier to maintain.
MJSerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Go with the 55! I started with a 55 and want to go at least 150 ASAP. Check out the link below it helped me in a huge way when I started my tank.

Stinky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

star, start, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com