Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to Adzatious
Considering the plunge into Salt Water!

Hey Guys.
My name is Adam, I am a science student from Queensland in Australia.
I have recently purchased a 5 foot, 150 gallon tank and have always wanted (desperately) to keep a reef aquarium. At the moment, however, when I consider everything that I would need for the initial setup... the cost is looking slightly out of reach. Especially seeing as I would want to get the best setup I could from the start (instead of wasting time and money upgrading when I realise what I first got wasn't good enough)
At the moment, most of the only prices I can find for equipment are at the local fish stores. Are there any Australians out there who can offer me good advice in relation to purchasing some decent lighting and a chiller unit!?!? I'm thinking that I would probably be able to create my own sump out of an old 3 foot tank...? I would love to stick with fluoro lights that can fit under the hood I currently have... but I honestly don't think that I will be able to get enough lighting under the hood... especially seeing the tank is 2 foot deep. So Metal Hallides are probably the only way to go... is there any way I can set them up so that they still look presentable?

That's all the questions for now. please please pleas give me ANY feedback you can think of... especially you Aussies!
Thanks an absolute million for any help you can offer me.
It may take a while, but I am determined to eventually own a reef aquarium. I just figure the longer it takes, the more I would have learnt before I get it.
Thanks again in advance,

Adzatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Yes you can make a sump out of a 3 foot tank. You can make one out of just about any water storage container. You wont need a chiller unless you have a problem keeping the water temperature down below 84F. For that size tank about the only florecent lighting I would suggest would be VHO lighting but that will still require a changeout of the ballast and new endcaps and canopy. If you want a reef then you will need to serously look at MH. There are many ways you can do MH and have it look presentable. The best way would be to construct your own caonpy that you can house your MH bulbs and reflectors in them.

Check the DIY area for ideas.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you set up the tank as a fowler; with the intent on making it a reef, then lighting can wait a bit till you save up. It would also give you some of the experience nessecary.
As far as buying equipment I always check out that the site sponsors have to offer. They also sometimes offer a discount.

keep us updated on how the tank is coming.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, salt water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com