Contaminated live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Heres the story.....yesterday I bought a 90 gallon tank with the intention of it eventually being a reef tank.

The set up came with quite a bit of what used to be live rock.Some of the rock was stored in a bucket in an outdoor shed.Completely dried out for some time.

The other rock,believe it or not,was used to decorate an outdoor garden area after the tank was taken down.So as you can imagine it got dirt on/in it because it was sitting right on the ground.

Some of the pieces are quite large and it's really very porous.Excellent rock I think.

How would you guys go about cleaning it up so it will be safe for my tank?Be as detailed as possible please.

Also...in the drawer in the stand I found a half empty bottle "copper plus chelated copper remedy" so I suspect it was used in this same tank.Is that going to be a future problem with corals?

Thanks,

Also...in the drawer in the stand I found a half empty bottle "copper plus chelated copper remedy" so I suspect it was used in this same tank.Is that going to be a future problem with corals?
Find out from the previous owner if they used it in the tank. If so, there is a very good chance it will cause problems. Copper can be absorbed into the silecon in the tank and can then be leached into the tank. Any tank that has had copper used in it should not be considered for corals or inverts.

Back
Top Bottom