Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is a filefish reef safe? I was looking at them for my 90g fowlr and dont recall them being coral friendly.

I wouldnt' let the fish starve! My gosh, I think I would know before that if it was eating or not. I still stand guard when i feed the dragonettes to make sure I see them eat, every time and every day. I like to be proactive rather than reactive with my tanks.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just try one ..Heck,we have someone on here keeping an idol alive and eating ,,so i think its worth a shot..Every fish is different..

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know 3 of my buddies have them for the same problem and have had no issues with any of them eating. All the aptasia was cleared out pretty quickly. These are guys that I see frequently and the fish look good and healthy. I can't say I would hesitate to get one if I had an aptasia problem. I hear butterflies in general are finicky I have a Pakistani and he's doing quite well also. Can't hurt to give it a shot especially if you are so vigalant
Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you are looking to get something to control the aiptasia...I have a Klein's butterfly who is also a great eater like the one in your 90g. When I first got her my tank had just gone through a burst of aiptasia....one very large aiptasia turned into about 15-20 smaller ones. I got the butterfly not for the aiptasia but she ate all of the aiptasia within 3 days after being introduced into the tank, even the extremely large one. I looked online and apparently it is not abnormal for them to eat aiptasia. Not sure if you would consider moving yours out of the 90 but I thought I would let you know of my experience.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good thought, but I don't think the butterfly is reef safe. No aiptasia in the 90g so i can't be sure. lol

I've been reading more and more all day on these fish and it seems to be a mixed bag of results. It would appear the odds are better in an established tank and with people who do what i do, and are anal retentive about their fish.
Alot of the failures from other posts and forums seems to be putting them blindly into new tanks with first time reef keepers. Now, LOL, I know I'm not an expert reef keeper but I wouldn't consider myself a first timer.

The LFS I have in mind to purchase one from will hold fish until they are eating so won't that be of some help as well?

Thanks everyone for your participation! I love getting people opinions and experiences.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know your butterfly might not be reef safe but mine said with caution on live aquaria. So I gave it a shot and so far so good. It ate all my tube worms off my rocks but has left my lps and mushrooms alone.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

My thoughts:

I think it is great that your LFS will hold the fish for you until they know it is eating. If the Butterfly is like your Blenny (the one who ate flakes and frozen, even though some Lawnmowers don't), then it should eat what it is eating at your LFS forever. If it is like a Mandarin, that could be a different story, lol.

I see exactly what you are saying about your 125g being an established tank. Since it is so established, do you think that your tank has enough of a natural ecosystem for the Butterfly to survive? Also, if Copperbands eat any kind of pods, you know that you're good . I think a Copperband would like really nice, they are beautiful fish!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have too many corals to take a chance on the kleins. But then again, I;ve seen somewhere that its possible the copperband can eat coral too.

Decisions decisions....I really wanted another butterfly too, just thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. lol

I'll have to talk to my fish guru guy at one of my lfs's and see what he thinks. He'll level with me, one of the good guys. hehe...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I have too many corals to take a chance on the kleins. But then again, I;ve seen somewhere that its possible the copperband can eat coral too.

Decisions decisions....I really wanted another butterfly too, just thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. lol

I'll have to talk to my fish guru guy at one of my lfs's and see what he thinks. He'll level with me, one of the good guys. hehe...
That's good that you have a trustworthy person to talk too. Especially if they have had many experiences with the Copperband before (like your LFS guy does). Once at my LFS I saw them feed the fish, and one of them was a Copperband. They were feeding frozen and the Butterfly was eating it too.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

See, that's exactly what i see. The other LFS that I dont go to as much, his copperbands are eating frozen and flake. All the time, not just once if i ask him to feed them. They seem like they are doing well at the store and I figure I have got to be better than a store.! LOL

Tags
butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com