Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Contemplating a CopperBand Butterfly

So like the title says, I am thinking of adding a copperband butterfly fish to my 125g. I have done some researching and they appear to be reef safe with some exceptions like dusters and small shrimp. I have none nor do I plan on adding any. I know they can be tricky to get to start eating, but how hard are they really? I have a butterfly in my 90g and it eats everything like a pig, my heartiest eater in the tank without a doubt.

So you guys can help by telling me what you know. If you've kept one successfully or with bad results i still wanna know the whole deal.

I currently have an aipatsia problem in the 125g which I don't want to get worse. For those who would suggest peppermint shrimp, trust me, been there done that. Added a dozen about 2 weeks ago with none surviving that i can tell.

I originally wanted to add another butterfly to the 90g but figured with the situation it might be best if i put it in the established tank.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Extremely hard to get eating. It's very sad to watch them starve to death.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think the tang gang would make life hard for it also

Why did your peps die after 2 weeks..I had great luck with mine devouring aips
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've tried twice with peppermints and each time they disappear. The last batch was unusually small ones so they didn't stand a chance.

I had the same issue when my 5 cleaner shrimp were killed. I have narrowed it down to the pistol shrimp or the pink spotted goby. Both would be impossible to get out without a tank breakdown.

I do like the copperband, both my lfs's have been getting them in on a regular basis so the availability is there. If the fish is eating at the store would that carry over to my tank? Or is it like the mandarin who can eat at store then refuse food when you get him home?

I have thought of even getting the nudibranch that only eats aiptasia but thats sentencing it to death when the job is done. If i were to have the butterfly it would be a great addition even long after the aipatasias are gone.

Any tips on feeding? Would live food be what you need to feed to entice them to try other food?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My LFS is adamant on feeding copper bands through out the day. My buddy just bought one and he has been feeding 5 or 6 times a day. Maybe 1 turkey baster squirt each time. His has been eating for weeks like this and is gaining weight.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I actually feed now with a turkey baster. So much easier.

Anyone think it can be done?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I tried every kind of food. Mine never ate any aptasia either.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is one fish better left in the sea than at home in our tanks IMO. More people try and fail with this fish than any other and the low price doesnt help because then people think "oh well it was only 40$". I have watched many threads over the past year and bit about people getting them and I have watched just as many of them end up with "my copperband died today".

IMO Leave them be in the sea.

berghia nudibranch's IMO they work wonders
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I thought about those nudibranchs and it was recommended i would need 1 for every 10g which means I need about a dozen of them and at $25 a piece i just can't swing it. lol

If it makes any difference I have all the time in the world and patience too to give the fish any special attention it may require. I did very well getting my 2 dragonettes eating frozen food which I think to date is my best achievement in aquaria, at least to date. LOL

I already feed the tank 3 times a day due to the anthias'es. Are there any tips you guys would recommend if I do decide to go with one? I would think seeing it eat at the LFS would be a major point, what about size? I've read both sides, that you get one that is larger so it will eat prepared food or get one small before they get set in their ways. LOL

Not one of my fish has ever equated to money with me. I had a semi tank crash almost a year ago and lost 6 fish in a week and to be honest I don't think I have ever added up the cost of it fish wise in dollars and cents. Still haunts my every move with my tanks too. :-(

I know people can keep them and just wondering what the magic combination is so I can do it. I'm dedicated and not dumb so I think I can do it.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

dragonettes are like clownfish compared to CBB, again I dont think its worth having a fish for a month or 2 and watch it slowly starve to death, we dont know enough about the dietary needs of the fish in the wild they pick at rocks like dragonettes and they eat small tube worms its just a lot of work.

nudi branches will bread if they have enough food so you could get a small group of 4 and go from there. or check into a tasseled filefish

Magma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com