contract maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JG67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have ordered a 70 gallon corner bow tank for my office through a local shop that will do the tank set up and weekly maintenance. It is pre-drilled and I hope to have coral, live rock and about ten fish. I reside in Raleigh, NC and I am wondering whether (i) weekly is the appropriate frequency of maintenance visits, and (ii) what a reasonable fee for such service would be. I understand that the price will vary regionally, but I am trying to get a sense for what is appropriate.

Hmmmmm......Well, weekly would be optimal. That way close tabs can be kept on water parameters and such. Also, you can have weekly Partial Water Changes done.

As for $$$???? Not a clue.

Dunno, but if weekly only does glass cleaning and water check some weeks, then complte water changes for other visits, I'd think the prices would be different.

IMO, after the tank matures after intial setup, cycling etc, I'd think weeklys wouldn't be needed. You can clean the front glass in 5 minutes time.

'Course I never had maintenance done, so not sure I helped much on this questions. Just thinkin'.

Hello,
I run an aquarium maintenance service so maybe I can help.
I love money but not at the point to exagerate the need for maintenance. usually, for the first month, I do some weekly visit just to have a look to the system and make sure everything is fine. After that I visit my clients twice a month. At each visit I test the water, make some adjustment if needed, check the equipment, inspect corals and fish and do a water change.
What I hate the most is that most of my clients made the setup and called me for maintenance after. What happen the most is that the system can't hold that much live stock so I work more for less result. When I do the set-up I make sure it's gona hold as much live stock as needed.

price can be quite different from a place to an other. Does he have competition? is the average income high or low in your region? All this can make the price change.
Where I am, I have no competition and the average income is quite high. My cost for a salt water tank goes like this: $50.00 + 0.50/gallon ($100 min). This include a complete maintenance routine but does not include supply of additives.
My cost might be high or low depending on where you are. For sure, it can be quite expensive with time but it's a good deall for someone who want's a nice reef tank in the office and don't want to touch it.

Also, I would be curious to know how much they charge you for that.

Thanks for the replies all. Normally market forces would be in play, but in this situation the competition is limited due to location issues and availability of maintenance services; I am attempting to get at least one more price. I will post her final monthly price when I receive it.

Madcaptains, thanks for the info. I am going to let her set up the tank to ensure that it is done properly. On that basis and the monthly maintenance, she will guarantee all livestock. I wish I had the time to devote to learning the process, but I have many other priorities right now. I hope to learn by watching the setup and maintenance and lurking on this forum.
By the way, I assume the $50 plus .50/gallon is monthly?

Hi,
yes you should try to learn a little by watching here. Ask here to show you the basis.
the price I gave you is for one service maintenance. For sure, I give some discount for large tank and tanks I service often each month.

Hi,
yes you should try to learn a little by watching here. Ask here to show you the basis.
the price I gave you is for one service maintenance. For sure, I give some discount for large tank and tanks I service often each month.

Got it. I will post the final maintenance price I get. As to the person who is helping me with the set-up and maintenance, her house is about 5 minutes from my office and on the way to her aquarium store so I hope to negotiate a decent price with her. The tank is due to arrive next week and I have given her my proxy to select mechanicals and lighting, subject to a review of the pricing. Thanks for the input.

Who does the top offs on these tanks. I dont think they could go weeks without a FW top off. Just wondering.

Yes but I was wondering about the every other week or monthly maint. I see them in hospitals all the time here and the nurse told me that the guy comes every month for maint. I`ll bet the salinity swings are unreal.

Yes but I was wondering about the every other week or monthly maint. I see them in hospitals all the time here and the nurse told me that the guy comes every month for maint. I`ll bet the salinity swings are unreal.

I suspect that the consumer is oblivious to these issues, as long as the fish don't float. Call me a cynic, but I am sure the caretaker is happy enough to collect the monthly check, and blame any casualties on other factors. The vendor who quotes the job on a weekly basis is at a serious disadvantage (viz. pricing) to the one who says once a month will work.

It all depends on who get to do the maintenance. At my last job the tank (150 gal) on the executive level was a horror. Several attemps at adding coral to a tank with NO lights. New fish once a month that I don't believe were ever properly acclimated because most died within a few days.

For the original post, the charged fee is based on the surrounding area so if I were you, I would contact the surrounding maintenance companies and simply ask what maintenance work they perform, what scheduling is available, and at what charge(s). Maintenance companies will usually have some "bare bones" contract stipulating your schedule and the work to be done along with liabilities. Topping off aquaria can be left to the owners of the tank per instructions; however, if the owners would rather have the company top-off their system then they should be charged accordingly and it should be stipulated in writing.

Back
Top Bottom