convering FW 55 gallon to SW help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWnewby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We previously had a 55 gallon freshwater tank, and all of our fish got ick, and it didnt turn out so well. so we figured we would start a saltwater tank, something we have always wanted to do.
So my first of many questions is...
Can we use the same filter we have? it is an AquaTec 30/60 with carbon filters.
Of course we are getting a protein skimmer and all the goodies. but for now will that be ok? or is it absolutely not ok?
Please help!
icon_confused.gif

Thank you!!!

-Jen

Welcome to AA!

For the filter, most people use live rock as biological filtration. Good place to start is 1-1.5lbs per gallon, and you can add more from there. But, yeah you could use your filter too, but they tend to become nitrate factories when not cleaned routinely. As for sand, go with dry aragonite, about 1-2lbs per gallon. As for skimmers, I would go with either a CPR Aquatics or Reef Octopus skimmer. I highly recommend Hydor Koralias for powerheads, two K2's or two K2's should work. I would start with Instant Ocean for salt. Get a refractometer as they are a lot more accurate than hydrometers. Depending on if you are going to make it a reef or not, the Nova Extreme Pro 6x54w T5 HO fixture from Current USA would allow you to keep anything, if not going reef, any old aquarium light would work. Grab a liquid test kit. Get two heaters in case one fails, or grab an extra one if you already have one from when you had it set up as a freshy. Get a thermometer if you don't have one already. Errr....think that covers it all?

ok just out of curiosity, i was searching what chemicals i should have on hand just in case or that i need all the time, and we bought a buffer and a conditioner, is there anything else that i need? and thank you for the much needed info! that helped a lot! we were looking for a good skimmer and all the ones we found got bad reviews! so thank you so much!

ok just out of curiosity, i was searching what chemicals i should have on hand just in case or that i need all the time, and we bought a buffer and a conditioner, is there anything else that i need? and thank you for the much needed info! that helped a lot! we were looking for a good skimmer and all the ones we found got bad reviews! so thank you so much!

Might want to look into a RO/DI unit too, it will pretty much remove everything from your water such as metals and chlorine and get the total dissloved solids of your water as close to zero as possible. Most people don't use any buffers except for calcium or chemicals as your salt will buffer everything you need and a simple weekly water change will replenish everything. Too many additives will create an unstable system which will most likely crash eventually.

Reverse osmosis and deionization unit. It filters your water and gets your TDS as close to zero as possible, basically it removes metals, chlorine, and other things in your water that are harmful to your tank inhabitants.

ok so if i get one of those, and a protein skimmer, and have live rock..i wont need any other kind of filtration?

Pretty much. The RO/DI will filter the water right from the tap, then you take that water and either mix salt in it for filling the tank and water changes, or you use it to top the tank off when the water level gets low from evaporation.

ok is it something that i should buy right away? or is it not something i need right away?

Buy right away, you would need it to filter your tap water before you mix salt in and fill the tank. Just do a little research on it and it should become clear as day. If you plan on ordering everything online, try Aquacave as they are located in Gurnee. I'm off to bed, night.

You dont need it right now but you do need ro water. You can buy the water by the gallon. If you stick to water changes you will want a RO/Di unit. It is easier. Cycle tank, with lr, then you can add protein skimmer. You should be good to go.

ok what about the water conditioner i bought? should i just return that or what

If you do bi-weekly or weekly PWC's with RO/DI water, you won't need any conditioners at this time. Read these to get you started: Articles

How did your fish get ich? How long was your FW tank setup?

we bought some fish from a lower grade pet store, and didnt quarantine them, which was stupid on my part. the freshwater tank was set up for about a year and a half id say, had absolutely no problems up until recently

You dont need it right now but you do need ro water. You can buy the water by the gallon. If you stick to water changes you will want a RO/Di unit. It is easier. Cycle tank, with lr, then you can add protein skimmer. You should be good to go.

How long should i cycle the tank until i need the protein skimmer? Is that all i need to cycle the tank is saltwater and live rock?

If your using ro water you dont need to condition it. Add salt and it is good. Get your protein skimmer and when tank is done cycling you can turn it on. Make the water, add the sand (if using sand), and LR. Then follow cycling instructions. Check water parameters. You need a good water test kit.

Back
Top Bottom