Convert help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hate to start a new thread i saw so many on here already. But i need help and have different questions.

I have a 29 gal fully cycled freshwater tank. It was a fish in cycle tank i just moved the fish and did a really good water change.

I was going to buy new freshwater but i think i want to convert to saltwater. I have researched this but everyone says something different.

I know NOTHING about saltwater. I have a tank, fluorescent light, hob pump for this size tank dont know the numbers on it, heater, air pump and decor. I may not need all of that i understand but how do i convert? Do i completely empty the tank and start over? What do i need to buy.... I know nothing.

I have an api master test kit too. I am not interested in coral and all that pretty stuff yet just fish and whatever i need to keep my water healthy

This is my generic noob post. There will be one more detailed to your circumstances in a moment.

Every Saltwater tank need the following:

Good Filter/Sump

Sand

Live Rock

Heater

Lighting

Refractometer

Test Kits

Aquarium Salt/ Pre made water

Ro/Di Unit

Powerheads:

Skimmer

Now to explaining each item

Filter- You can either make a sump or just use your HOB filter. Sumps are separate tanks used to hide equipment and filter the tank.

Sand- Buy dry sand, it becomes live anyway, and it's cheaper.

Live Rock- Normally you get 1-2 pounds per gallon. This will provide places to set coral and hiding places for fish and your CUC. It is also the housing for your Beneficial Bacter, which is what your biological filtration comes from.

Heater- This will provide the appropriate temperature for livestock.

Lighting- This is where you must decide if you want to keep corals or not. The three main options are T5, Metal Halide,

Refractometer: This will tell the salinity of your tank. NEVER get a swing arm hydrometer! THEY DON"T WORK! TRUST ME!!!!!!! Here is the refractometer I got and it works great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salinity-Ref...item4ab33c430d

It got to my house fast and early.

Test Kits: Get test kits for: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Phosphates. For a reef tank add: Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity and maybe iodide.

Don't ever buy test strips, they are unreliable. Invest in quality kits such as: Salifert, Red Sea, Elos, Hannah Checkers, etc.
API will not do much good for a reef elements.

Aquarium Salt: You have two options. Buy a bagged reef salt, this is the better option and will require an RO/DI unit. You can also buy if from an LFS, but it can contain bad elements, because most LFS only want a sale.

RO/DI Unit- This will filter the water needed for making saltwater and top offs.

Powerheads- These will provide flow for you tank. Aim for 20-50 times your tank size.

Skimmer: If you run a Nano tank they aren't needed. They are to take out harmful proteins in the water.

Just in case you don't know anything about cycling:
http://www.saltwateraquarium.com/cyc...water-aquarium

If you have any other questions just ask! The only stupid question is the one you don't ask! Happy Reefing and Welcome to the Salty Side!

Alright, since you plan on doing a FOWLR, and not reef. You can actually use your Freshwater API master test kit for ammonia, trite, trate, because all the chemicals are the same.

Clean out your tank very thoroughly.

You can pry use your:
Heater
Filter (I didn't catch what it is)
For this tank.

I think everything else is in the generics post.

Do i have to have alot of live rock????? It seems to get pricey 60lbs of it.

Is there a fish in cycle for saltwater or do i really need to wait a coup,e of months before addding fish.

You only need 30. You can buy base rock too. It's cheaper and will eventually become live.

Yes, there is a fish in cycle but it is very inhumane and most fish don't make it. You can by Dr. Tim's if you want to speed up the cycle.

I did a fish in cycle with my freshwater wasnt bad at all! I guess saltwater is different.

Yeah, My. Neighbor has a saltwater tank and you really need to do a fish less cycle. Also from what I've learned from him is that you can't skimp on the rock or it dosent look really good. I'd recommend 20lbs live and 40lbs dry to get you started. The dry rock will become live in a matter of a couple months.

Yeah, My. Neighbor has a saltwater tank and you really need to do a fish less cycle. Also from what I've learned from him is that you can't skimp on the rock or it dosent look really good. I'd recommend 20lbs live and 40lbs dry to get you started. The dry rock will become live in a matter of a couple months.

You don't need 60lbs of live rock for a 29g tank! 30 is the acceptable amount. The amount of rock used doesn't mean the tank will look better. It's how you configure them, and that is simply just for appeal. It's pretty hard to skimp on rock, it is used for biological filtration. Meaning to turn ammonia into nitrates. 30lbs will do what she needs.

Ok reading up some more. I am sure i will be back later today!

Back
Top Bottom