converting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
Guys I have a freshwater tank, I am upgrading it to a bigger one soon. I was thinking of converting the smaller one to a marine tank, are they that hard to look after?

I find it requires a bit more work than a fw setup. Once youre up and running and everything stabilizes it does pretty much run itself. Weekly water changes, testing periodically, having a skimmer and keeping it clean, all stuff you gotta do. I happen to be running a canister filter on my 55g sw right now so that's also an added maintenance item.

Are you wanting to keep corals or anything like that? or do you want fish only with live rock? That will help determine the cost and maintenance schedule.
:-D

Hiya, I was just thinking of puting a trio of clowns in it and maybe, some bottom feeders. Would be my first marine tank so not to familiar with the coral and live rock. :)

A 20 gallon might be ok for awhile but chances are one will turn to female and get to big and bossy for the tank.

One thing that is very different from freshwater is topping off it is very important especially on a smaller tank.

You will want live rock it is important for the biological filter. Coral is something you might want to try in the future.

The bulbs on your FW light will need to be changed or a 10k, 14k or 20k to keep the algae down. Also use RO water from the start.

Back
Top Bottom