I recently decided to convert my 29 Gallon Eclipse to Saltwater. I started out with about 25 very small cichlids. They used to play friendly games of tag and hide-and-seek; But over the past 6 months they've grown to be quite unloving to each other . . . resulting in weekly casualties. So I figured rather than coming down to an appropriate FW
fish count, I would convert to Saltwater and get my kids the loving Nemo and Dori; and maintain an accurate inch per gallon fish count. I have swapped my cichlids and emptied my tank. It is currently holding water only and I have not started cycling the water or added salt yet. And I have a bunch of questions.
1. How many SW
fish can I keep in the 29 gallon eclipse?
2. What other equipment do i REALLY need to spend on: Protein Skimmer, Circulation Pump; Air Pump; new lighting?
3. What temperature is BEST?
4. Will Clownfish, Blue Tang, Seahorse and Starfish, cleaner shrimp live together.
5. Will any coral grow under the two (T8 18W lights)?
6. When can I add fish and what is a good scout fish?
7. Other than salinity what am I watching for before adding fish: the usual Nitrates, Nitrites, Hardness, PH? Is there anything else?
8. What is the correct salinity?
9. Did I really need to buy a new bio-wheel for the Eclipse? or is "good bacteria" from FW
just as good for SW
10. What is the best substrate and how many inches should I use - the whole big bag?
That's it for now
Any other advice?