converting 55 gallon to reef ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerejohnson

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've decided that i want a wet/dry filter or sump and i dont want the ugly overflow box on the back or anything back there for that matter... if a local glass shop does it what is the size that is most common, or should i say what size bulkheads can i get?
thanks

the bulkhead hole size should be deturmined by first establishing what size plumbing you want to use for your drain and return lines. I would suggest 1" drain lines and then match your return lines with the size of the outlet on your return pump.

I got my bulkheads from www.marinedepot.com Depending on the particular style of bulkhead you get the final size might be a little different. For example the bulkhead I got was for 1" plumbing and it required a 1 3/4" hole.

the last 55 gallon tanks I worked with, "Top Fin" aka All-Glass came with a warning inside, with the effect that "all panels" are tempered glass - this tank cannot be drilled.

older 55's I'd seen only came with a warning about the bottom - I wonder when all-glass switched to making all the panels tempered.

might be worth to double check with close scrutiny!

if things look good for drilling - get the bulkheads first and give one to the glass shop guy while he's drilling - they way you can be sure to have a good fit!

very good catch gordong. I forgot to mention that about tempered. Drilling the bulkheads in the back panel would get around the tempered glass issue. All you would have on the outside of the tank would be a few 90* elbows and some plumbing.

well, that's what I was pointing out "all glass panels are tempered" ... in the case of 4 brand new 55's from petsmart, each had a warning to not drill any of the glass.

Interesting...

Wonder if thinner tempered glass is cheaper than proper thickness untempered.

hey thanks for the great catch, i never thought about the tempered, checked the web site and it says that the bottom is tempered, funny thing is that the LFS said that they have had there own drilled, one guy suggested that i have it drilled in the center because it wouldn't crack there... anyways thanks now that i know ill just have the back drilled and be on my way.

somehow all-glass is able to drill their tempered glass tanks... perhaps they drill the glass before tempering, or they use an industrial laser to cut a hole in the glass, rather than grinding their way through it like a drill bit would.

I think its a laser cuting method. As best I understand drilling tempered glass will result in total failure of the panel due to how tempered glass is made its very strong but at the same time fairly brittle.

somehow all-glass is able to drill their tempered glass tanks..

Well, hmmm according to All-Glass themselves, "NONE" of their tanks have tempered glass for side panels. only the bottoms. This comes straight from the horses mouth....They do not drill Tempered glass... It is impossible after the temper process to do so... They can however drill the bottoms and then have them tempered...

As stated from an AllGlass representative..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11108&highlight=tempered+allglass

hmm, well that raises the question I've had for some time, but the only answers I get are speculation and hear-say

is Top Fin really All-Glass?

several of the Top Fin tanks come in sizes not listed in the All-Glass catalog

it could be that top fin is like the 'economy' model of all-glass, and that's why they use all tempered glass?

*shrug*

Back
Top Bottom