Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

converting 55 gallon to reef ready

i've decided that i want a wet/dry filter or sump and i dont want the ugly overflow box on the back or anything back there for that matter... if a local glass shop does it what is the size that is most common, or should i say what size bulkheads can i get?
thanks

Old 11-30-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
the bulkhead hole size should be deturmined by first establishing what size plumbing you want to use for your drain and return lines. I would suggest 1" drain lines and then match your return lines with the size of the outlet on your return pump.

I got my bulkheads from www.marinedepot.com Depending on the particular style of bulkhead you get the final size might be a little different. For example the bulkhead I got was for 1" plumbing and it required a 1 3/4" hole.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

the last 55 gallon tanks I worked with, "Top Fin" aka All-Glass came with a warning inside, with the effect that "all panels" are tempered glass - this tank cannot be drilled.

older 55's I'd seen only came with a warning about the bottom - I wonder when all-glass switched to making all the panels tempered.

might be worth to double check with close scrutiny!

if things look good for drilling - get the bulkheads first and give one to the glass shop guy while he's drilling - they way you can be sure to have a good fit!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
very good catch gordong. I forgot to mention that about tempered. Drilling the bulkheads in the back panel would get around the tempered glass issue. All you would have on the outside of the tank would be a few 90* elbows and some plumbing.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, that's what I was pointing out "all glass panels are tempered" ... in the case of 4 brand new 55's from petsmart, each had a warning to not drill any of the glass.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Interesting...

Wonder if thinner tempered glass is cheaper than proper thickness untempered.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey thanks for the great catch, i never thought about the tempered, checked the web site and it says that the bottom is tempered, funny thing is that the LFS said that they have had there own drilled, one guy suggested that i have it drilled in the center because it wouldn't crack there... anyways thanks now that i know ill just have the back drilled and be on my way.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

somehow all-glass is able to drill their tempered glass tanks... perhaps they drill the glass before tempering, or they use an industrial laser to cut a hole in the glass, rather than grinding their way through it like a drill bit would.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I think its a laser cuting method. As best I understand drilling tempered glass will result in total failure of the panel due to how tempered glass is made its very strong but at the same time fairly brittle.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
somehow all-glass is able to drill their tempered glass tanks..
Well, hmmm according to All-Glass themselves, "NONE" of their tanks have tempered glass for side panels. only the bottoms. This comes straight from the horses mouth....They do not drill Tempered glass... It is impossible after the temper process to do so... They can however drill the bottoms and then have them tempered...

As stated from an AllGlass representative..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...pered+allglass

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, converting, reef, reef ready

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com