Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by agp View Post
I currently have a 6700K fluorescent bulb at 17W. I will most likely not change the light fixture because it's a part of the hood, so I can only pick up 1 fluorescent bulb, which one would I choose?

What's the difference between live vs. not live sand/rock?

Where online can I buy these things?

What are power heads and what do they do?

No corals then. You can get a T5 fixture and ditch the hood but over so little water, the evap would cause some crazy salinity fluxes. Anyways. If you can, switch to a whiter spectrum(10,000K) as the lower is more algae-friendly. Anyways. I would suggest you shop around locally for live rock. It's extremely expensive to ship and doesn't fair well either. Live rock is rock that's been harvested from the ocean or aquacultured and is filled with beneficial bacteria, living organisms (hitch-hikers) and some pretty awesome looking coralline algae.

A power head is a small pump that circulates the water and keeps dead spots from happening. Koralia makes some of the best power heads from a GPH-Cost point of view.
EDIT: That's Hydor-Koralia
I'd get the PH online (cheapest there) and the LR from any respectable fish store.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Again, check out the articles section and give everything in there a good read through first, then we can better help you.

You won't be able to keep anything but fish with that fixture, no matter the bulb.

"live" just means it has the bacteria colonies on it that come with a cycle that convert ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate. Again, read some articles.

Powerheads are simply pumps to move water inside the tank. They are more essential to reef environment which are used to getting sloshed by tides in the ocean. A more natural environment will promote better health.
+1, and don't forget read some articles! lol

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
Here's an idea. Sell all of your stuff, and leave this hobby alone. Because you are just going to get sick of SW in another month. You spent all that money, wasted everyone's time giving you advice. you didn't even listen to it, and now what will happen to your fish? who is in too small a tank anyways?

In another thread OP posted about how he doesn't even plan to be in this hobby for long.

I am sorry for being rude, but it really rubs me the wrong way when someone takes a living breathing creature into their care and then mistreats it. To me that is what you are doing. It isn't intangible. It's alive. You don't buy a puppy and just shove it in a box do you? And then decide you dont want it then what do you do with it? All so you can get a different puppy.

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #14
agp
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have read some of the articles on this site, they are very helpful. Just to confirm, to set up the tank, I should use aragonite sand as substrate, then add live rocks, water, salt, run filter and pump. Then let the tank cycle, and when that's done I can just acclimate fishes and add them? What type of inverts can I add to keep the tank clean other than shrimps? And I cannot have ANY sort of corals with a 17W light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma1228 View Post
Here's an idea. Sell all of your stuff, and leave this hobby alone. Because you are just going to get sick of SW in another month. You spent all that money, wasted everyone's time giving you advice. you didn't even listen to it, and now what will happen to your fish? who is in too small a tank anyways?

In another thread OP posted about how he doesn't even plan to be in this hobby for long.

I am sorry for being rude, but it really rubs me the wrong way when someone takes a living breathing creature into their care and then mistreats it. To me that is what you are doing. It isn't intangible. It's alive. You don't buy a puppy and just shove it in a box do you? And then decide you dont want it then what do you do with it? All so you can get a different puppy.

I will continue to spend my money on fish tanks, and continue to pay 10MPG for my car because they are hobbies I plan on keeping; everyone's advices, from how to rinse out the gravel to how to fine-tune every little thing about the tank, were listened to (except your advice of telling me to sell everything); my fish will go back to my friend; it is not that big; the fish is not being mistreated, and it will not be mistreated. I am here to seek help others are gracious enough to offer, and in return I will do all I can, however little it may be, to keep this community alive and thriving - bitterness is not very becoming given the harmless things I have done.

Edit: and no, I do not buy a puppy and shove it in a small box. I buy a puppy and put it next to my bed in the small house we both live in.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
Lol. I have no problem with you spending your money if you don't. The point is that you said yourself you don't plan on staying interested in this hobby. To each his own, but make up your mind already.

I am not bitter, I just stick up for animals who can't stick up for themselves. Like a cichlid in a 10g. Who you were so "graciously" advised against. It doesn't matter how big it is. You didn't even have it for a week.

And it's not that your choices were harmful, they were careless. Carelessness will lead to an epic fail with your tanks
P.s> -

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
agp
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Here's an idea. Sell all of your stuff, and leave this hobby alone.
Quote:
Quote:
You don't buy a puppy and just shove it in a box do you? And then decide you dont want it then what do you do with it? All so you can get a different puppy.
Quote:
Who you were so "graciously" advised against.
Sounds quite bitter to me. Why so serious? Let's put a smile on that face
Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Doesn't sound bitter to me. Sounds like she cares when she mistreats living things.
This thread should stay on task. Do your reading and let us know if you have questions.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would buy one of those 5 gallon water jugs and pre-mix and pre-test all the salt water you add. Unlike in FW, every time you change the water you're putting in water with different chemistry. The reason behind this is that Marine Salt mixes often contain a mixture of salts and buffers that alter your water's chemistry in addition to its salinity.

Buy two 5 gallon jugs and premix your water. Buy a strong air pump and good air stone and keep the water moving. This way you can always have fresh, salt water on hand. I don't think you will have a problem with just using your tap unless your water quality is just poop. If you went the coral route, you would need to get an RO system and other chemicals like Calcium Up.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Yeah i think your supposed to premix about 24 hours prior to adding to the tank. Also corals often don't need those addition supplements, regular pwcs can usually take care of that, at least from what I've learned. Although Ro/Di is something very important, if not a must-have IMO.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Remember that you will have to top the tank off every day in that small a tank. If one gallon evaporates,that's 10% of water gone and a jump in salinity. Aq, I think you have to supplement corals. If I remember right, someone told me a while back that certain mushrooms didn't need supplements, and that pwc's would give them what they need. And BTW AGP, read,read,read, and when you have read enough,read some more. I'll tell you now that when sw livestock starts dieing,it can get very expensive in a hurry.

And for a invert selection,a couple nerites,and ceriths,and 1 trochus snail should do the trick. I would say no more than 5 snails total. Hermits will evntually need a new shell and whatever snail shell suits the need,they will take it.

When you say not in the hobby for long,do you mean this is your one and only go around(till the last animal passes),or till you just get sick of it and ditch the whole setup(manually remove all animals.) If the tank is well taken care of,alot of the livestock can live for several years(10+)

Tags
converting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com