Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
agp
Aquarium Advice Freak

Converting from FW to SW

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a 10G FW tank that's completely cycled. How difficult would it be to convert it to SW? Here are some questions I have...

1. Does the substrate have to be sand or can it be gravel?
2. Will the bacteria in the already-established mini-ecosystem survive when water salinity is increased or should I re-do the entire cycle?
3. In terms of equipments, what do I need? I currently have an Aquaclear 20 filter, 75W heater, and a bottle of Seachem Prime.

Anything else I should know in order to get a feel of how to set up the tank for SW?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will have to re-cycle. Yes gravel can be used but Aragonite is probably your better choice. With so little water you need more buffers to prevent pH crashes and what not. You're pretty well set as far as everything else goes. Get 5-8 pounds of live rock and you're ready.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
agp
Aquarium Advice Freak

If I want Clown fishes, I know I will need anemones. What type of lighting is required for anemones and or corals?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

NO. You don't need an anemone for a clown fish. If anything avoid buying anemones like the plague. They are ludicrously hard to take care of and with so little water it'll be dead in weeks. And secondly clowns will host anything, from a filter outlet to a patch of particularly white looking sand. As for corals: 18watt 10,000K and 18watt Actinic T5HO will let you do soft corals and some LPS and maybe some SPS if you put them high in the water. But most SPS get too big for a 10g anyways.

You also need a lot more flow than an AC20 for corals and sw in general. Go for at least 1 koralia nano.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

EDIT: you crepe. beat me by seconds.

pretty common misconception. you do NOT need an anemones for clownfish, they will "host" an assortment of wavy corals or maybe nothing at all. They are very peculiar fish. Anemones need large and established tanks to survive and even then it's not a good idea to have one. Look in the articles section for good reading on how to cycle a marine tank and some basics on lighting.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
You don't need anemones to keep Clowns. All Clowns don't host in anemones in an aquarium.

I wouldn't think about an anemone right now...they need alot of light and an established tank, so you are looking at maybe a year down the road before you could get one. I agree with those guys above...I wouldn't get one at all. If they get caught in a powerhead they could kill your whole tank...especially one that small.

I agree, you will need to recycle the tank. Aragonite sand is a good option. Skip the live sand...yours will become live eventually. I would get more like 10-12lbs of live rock. And then you'll need some light depending on what you want to keep. I would get some chaeto to put in your filter...take the filter media out and just stuff it with chaeto...you'll need a little light for it though. And it wouldn't hurt to get a powerhead. A Koralia nano or 2 would be perfect for a 10g.

The lighting you'll need will depend on what corals you want to keep. Do you have any in mind?

edit: You guys beat me by 3 mins! That is what I get for talking on the phone and typing.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Hahahahaa, Crepe beat Jimbo who beat JOM. Great advice given above, make sure you do lots of research before hand on anything you buy, don't want another "convict".
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
agp
Aquarium Advice Freak

I currently have a 6700K fluorescent bulb at 17W. I will most likely not change the light fixture because it's a part of the hood, so I can only pick up 1 fluorescent bulb, which one would I choose?

What's the difference between live vs. not live sand/rock?

Where online can I buy these things?

What are power heads and what do they do?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by agp View Post
I currently have a 6700K fluorescent bulb at 17W. I will most likely not change the light fixture because it's a part of the hood, so I can only pick up 1 fluorescent bulb, which one would I choose?
Well you probably won't be able to set up a reef with that kind of lighting. You'd need PC or even better T5 HO.

Quote:
What's the difference between live vs. not live sand/rock?
live sand is pretty much just a gimmick. Its often past its shelf life and most of the bacteria is probably already dead. Live rock a very important part of filtration for sw.

Quote:
Where online can I buy these things?
MarineandReef, fosterandsmithaquatics, marinedepot, lfs, petsmart, etc.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Again, check out the articles section and give everything in there a good read through first, then we can better help you.

You won't be able to keep anything but fish with that fixture, no matter the bulb.

"live" just means it has the bacteria colonies on it that come with a cycle that convert ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate. Again, read some articles.

Powerheads are simply pumps to move water inside the tank. They are more essential to reef environment which are used to getting sloshed by tides in the ocean. A more natural environment will promote better health.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com