Converting from FW to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I'm currently running a 10G FW tank that's completely cycled. How difficult would it be to convert it to SW? Here are some questions I have...

1. Does the substrate have to be sand or can it be gravel?
2. Will the bacteria in the already-established mini-ecosystem survive when water salinity is increased or should I re-do the entire cycle?
3. In terms of equipments, what do I need? I currently have an Aquaclear 20 filter, 75W heater, and a bottle of Seachem Prime.

Anything else I should know in order to get a feel of how to set up the tank for SW?

You will have to re-cycle. Yes gravel can be used but Aragonite is probably your better choice. With so little water you need more buffers to prevent pH crashes and what not. You're pretty well set as far as everything else goes. Get 5-8 pounds of live rock and you're ready.

If I want Clown fishes, I know I will need anemones. What type of lighting is required for anemones and or corals?

NO. You don't need an anemone for a clown fish. If anything avoid buying anemones like the plague. They are ludicrously hard to take care of and with so little water it'll be dead in weeks. And secondly clowns will host anything, from a filter outlet to a patch of particularly white looking sand. As for corals: 18watt 10,000K and 18watt Actinic T5HO will let you do soft corals and some LPS and maybe some SPS if you put them high in the water. But most SPS get too big for a 10g anyways.

You also need a lot more flow than an AC20 for corals and sw in general. Go for at least 1 koralia nano.

EDIT: :taped: you crepe. beat me by seconds.

pretty common misconception. you do NOT need an anemones for clownfish, they will "host" an assortment of wavy corals or maybe nothing at all. They are very peculiar fish. Anemones need large and established tanks to survive and even then it's not a good idea to have one. Look in the articles section for good reading on how to cycle a marine tank and some basics on lighting.

You don't need anemones to keep Clowns. All Clowns don't host in anemones in an aquarium. :)

I wouldn't think about an anemone right now...they need alot of light and an established tank, so you are looking at maybe a year down the road before you could get one. I agree with those guys above...I wouldn't get one at all. If they get caught in a powerhead they could kill your whole tank...especially one that small.

I agree, you will need to recycle the tank. Aragonite sand is a good option. Skip the live sand...yours will become live eventually. I would get more like 10-12lbs of live rock. And then you'll need some light depending on what you want to keep. I would get some chaeto to put in your filter...take the filter media out and just stuff it with chaeto...you'll need a little light for it though. And it wouldn't hurt to get a powerhead. A Koralia nano or 2 would be perfect for a 10g.

The lighting you'll need will depend on what corals you want to keep. Do you have any in mind?

edit: You guys beat me by 3 mins! That is what I get for talking on the phone and typing. :)

Last edited:
Hahahahaa, Crepe beat Jimbo who beat JOM. Great advice given above, make sure you do lots of research before hand on anything you buy, don't want another "convict".

I currently have a 6700K fluorescent bulb at 17W. I will most likely not change the light fixture because it's a part of the hood, so I can only pick up 1 fluorescent bulb, which one would I choose?

What's the difference between live vs. not live sand/rock?

Where online can I buy these things?

What are power heads and what do they do?

I currently have a 6700K fluorescent bulb at 17W. I will most likely not change the light fixture because it's a part of the hood, so I can only pick up 1 fluorescent bulb, which one would I choose?

Well you probably won't be able to set up a reef with that kind of lighting. You'd need PC or even better T5 HO.

live sand is pretty much just a gimmick. Its often past its shelf life and most of the bacteria is probably already dead. Live rock a very important part of filtration for sw.

MarineandReef, fosterandsmithaquatics, marinedepot, lfs, petsmart, etc.

Again, check out the articles section and give everything in there a good read through first, then we can better help you.

You won't be able to keep anything but fish with that fixture, no matter the bulb.

"live" just means it has the bacteria colonies on it that come with a cycle that convert ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate. Again, read some articles.

Powerheads are simply pumps to move water inside the tank. They are more essential to reef environment which are used to getting sloshed by tides in the ocean. A more natural environment will promote better health.

What are power heads and what do they do?

No corals then. You can get a T5 fixture and ditch the hood but over so little water, the evap would cause some crazy salinity fluxes. Anyways. If you can, switch to a whiter spectrum(10,000K) as the lower is more algae-friendly. Anyways. I would suggest you shop around locally for live rock. It's extremely expensive to ship and doesn't fair well either. Live rock is rock that's been harvested from the ocean or aquacultured and is filled with beneficial bacteria, living organisms (hitch-hikers) and some pretty awesome looking coralline algae.

A power head is a small pump that circulates the water and keeps dead spots from happening. Koralia makes some of the best power heads from a GPH-Cost point of view.
EDIT: That's Hydor-Koralia
I'd get the PH online (cheapest there) and the LR from any respectable fish store.

Again, check out the articles section and give everything in there a good read through first, then we can better help you.

You won't be able to keep anything but fish with that fixture, no matter the bulb.

"live" just means it has the bacteria colonies on it that come with a cycle that convert ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate. Again, read some articles.

Powerheads are simply pumps to move water inside the tank. They are more essential to reef environment which are used to getting sloshed by tides in the ocean. A more natural environment will promote better health.

+1, and don't forget read some articles! lol

Here's an idea. Sell all of your stuff, and leave this hobby alone. Because you are just going to get sick of SW in another month. You spent all that money, wasted everyone's time giving you advice. you didn't even listen to it, and now what will happen to your fish? who is in too small a tank anyways?

In another thread OP posted about how he doesn't even plan to be in this hobby for long.

I am sorry for being rude, but it really rubs me the wrong way when someone takes a living breathing creature into their care and then mistreats it. To me that is what you are doing. It isn't intangible. It's alive. You don't buy a puppy and just shove it in a box do you? And then decide you dont want it then what do you do with it? All so you can get a different puppy.

I have read some of the articles on this site, they are very helpful. Just to confirm, to set up the tank, I should use aragonite sand as substrate, then add live rocks, water, salt, run filter and pump. Then let the tank cycle, and when that's done I can just acclimate fishes and add them? What type of inverts can I add to keep the tank clean other than shrimps? And I cannot have ANY sort of corals with a 17W light?

Here's an idea. Sell all of your stuff, and leave this hobby alone. Because you are just going to get sick of SW in another month. You spent all that money, wasted everyone's time giving you advice. you didn't even listen to it, and now what will happen to your fish? who is in too small a tank anyways?

In another thread OP posted about how he doesn't even plan to be in this hobby for long.

I am sorry for being rude, but it really rubs me the wrong way when someone takes a living breathing creature into their care and then mistreats it. To me that is what you are doing. It isn't intangible. It's alive. You don't buy a puppy and just shove it in a box do you? And then decide you dont want it then what do you do with it? All so you can get a different puppy.

I will continue to spend my money on fish tanks, and continue to pay 10MPG for my car because they are hobbies I plan on keeping; everyone's advices, from how to rinse out the gravel to how to fine-tune every little thing about the tank, were listened to (except your advice of telling me to sell everything); my fish will go back to my friend; it is not that big; the fish is not being mistreated, and it will not be mistreated. I am here to seek help others are gracious enough to offer, and in return I will do all I can, however little it may be, to keep this community alive and thriving - bitterness is not very becoming given the harmless things I have done.

Edit: and no, I do not buy a puppy and shove it in a small box. I buy a puppy and put it next to my bed in the small house we both live in.

Lol. I have no problem with you spending your money if you don't. The point is that you said yourself you don't plan on staying interested in this hobby. To each his own, but make up your mind already.

I am not bitter, I just stick up for animals who can't stick up for themselves. Like a cichlid in a 10g. Who you were so "graciously" advised against. It doesn't matter how big it is. You didn't even have it for a week.

And it's not that your choices were harmful, they were careless. Carelessness will lead to an epic fail with your tanks
P.s> - :D

Here's an idea. Sell all of your stuff, and leave this hobby alone.

You don't buy a puppy and just shove it in a box do you? And then decide you dont want it then what do you do with it? All so you can get a different puppy.

Who you were so "graciously" advised against.

Sounds quite bitter to me. Why so serious? Let's put a smile on that face :D

Doesn't sound bitter to me. Sounds like she cares when she mistreats living things.
This thread should stay on task. Do your reading and let us know if you have questions.

I would buy one of those 5 gallon water jugs and pre-mix and pre-test all the salt water you add. Unlike in FW, every time you change the water you're putting in water with different chemistry. The reason behind this is that Marine Salt mixes often contain a mixture of salts and buffers that alter your water's chemistry in addition to its salinity.

Buy two 5 gallon jugs and premix your water. Buy a strong air pump and good air stone and keep the water moving. This way you can always have fresh, salt water on hand. I don't think you will have a problem with just using your tap unless your water quality is just poop. If you went the coral route, you would need to get an RO system and other chemicals like Calcium Up.

Yeah i think your supposed to premix about 24 hours prior to adding to the tank. Also corals often don't need those addition supplements, regular pwcs can usually take care of that, at least from what I've learned. Although Ro/Di is something very important, if not a must-have IMO.

Remember that you will have to top the tank off every day in that small a tank. If one gallon evaporates,that's 10% of water gone and a jump in salinity. Aq, I think you have to supplement corals. If I remember right, someone told me a while back that certain mushrooms didn't need supplements, and that pwc's would give them what they need. And BTW AGP, read,read,read, and when you have read enough,read some more. I'll tell you now that when sw livestock starts dieing,it can get very expensive in a hurry.

And for a invert selection,a couple nerites,and ceriths,and 1 trochus snail should do the trick. I would say no more than 5 snails total. Hermits will evntually need a new shell and whatever snail shell suits the need,they will take it.

When you say not in the hobby for long,do you mean this is your one and only go around(till the last animal passes),or till you just get sick of it and ditch the whole setup(manually remove all animals.) If the tank is well taken care of,alot of the livestock can live for several years(10+)

Back
Top Bottom